PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy.

I'm looking to get on the road-track with the CRF110F. I'm needing to get street tires mounted on it, but I'm under the impression that I need to change the front wheel to a 12" vs the stock 14".

Could you all recommend a wheel? Some folks are telling me to get a CRF70 or 80 front wheel and it'll just bolt right on with no issues, is this the case?
For the rear, can I use the stock one and put a street tire on it?
What size tire is recommended for a CRF110 supermoto?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's correct, but the CRF70 is also a 14" rim size, and the 80 is a 16" rim size
Interesting, I was thinking I was being recommended these because they would match the stock 12" rear of the CRF110. So is a 14" and/or 16" all around setup more recommended than a 12" front and back?

Welcome to Planet Minis. There is a good thread HERE...
tmas
Excellent I'll give it a read right now.

I appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The linked thread talks about Buchannan spokes and some radmfg rims, both sites are telling some stuff about upgrading my Flash player. Seems like these sites are no longer running.
Also, idk anything about some spokes and rims. Is there not a recommended 12" wheel I can just buy and bolt on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I very much appreciate that info. My bad for the dumb questions, I just searched around for a good little while and couldn't really find an answer. I've been racing for quite some time but never these dirt bikes. I'm just now getting into this supermoto situation because my daughter wants to start racing as well and I'm trying to get the CRF50 and the 110 fitted correctly.

Going off that link, seems like $200 a pop for front and rear, plus I'd have to find someone to spoke/lace these things. I'm guessing something like another $200 for the set. We're looking at $600 for some dang wheels. I was expecting this little side hobby to be cheaper than this, so 2 questions:

The rear stock is 1.6. Would you run just the front 2.15" one from the link you sent along with the stock rear? That'll cut the costs in half.
or
Is there a cheaper 12" option, maybe from some other bike, that I can just slap on that will match the rear a little better?

I guess costs really aren't too much of an issue, but I kinda went into this just to use it a training tool to get the daughter and wife ready for the "real" track(and maybe to have some fun during the off season in some parking lots). No need to spend money on the flashy stuff if I can get it done on the cheap.

Again sorry for the dumb questions, I'm just very ignorant on this side of the sport.

·
Super Moderator
10,180 Posts
I would suggest that you buy another 12" rear rim, disassemble the 14" front wheel, and ship the hub and new 12" rim to Buchanon and have them make up a spoke set for you. I believe they will ship you back a complete wheel assembly to install. You can use 12" scooter tires that will fit on the 1.60" rims that are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up buying a whole new set from gatorrimz front and rear with new hubs and everything. I wanted to be able to slap on a road or dirt wheelset whenever we felt like going to the dirt vs road. Much more costly than I wanted but I guess for the convenience, its worth it. Went ahead and had them slap on some tires.
And what a nice lady that answered the phone. Answered all my questions. Found me a nice resource for this new venture, it seems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to update the thread. The wheels fit fantastically after a bit of adjustment.
I had to mess around a bit with the chain adjustment because the tire seems like it’s taller so I had to push the axle back some(the tire was rubbing on the vertical piece of the swing arm).
I had to cut/trim the chain guard a bit because it was rubbing on the rear tire. I also had to cut a little bit off the rubber chain slider. A very small portion of the inside of it was rubbing against the left side of the tire. Very minor trimming and it all worked out just fine. There’s still plenty of cutting that could be done if I wanted to create more space/clearance , but I took it for a lengthy spin and everything works great.

Overall I think the bike looks fantastic. Here’s some pictures:

A4BE7EB9-E878-4F28-B932-BEF48550B6B6.jpeg

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts