PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have engine oil/dirt/gunk basically cooked onto my cylinder..check out pics. What do you guys use to get this stuff off..and what kind of process do you find works best. So far im looking at getting engine degreaser and a razor blade/tooth brush and having at it..any tips

Attachments

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
diesel fuel works too... ke using purple power or the castrol branded cleaner...but it will etch your alloy parts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
my friends use simple green, this guy my dad is real good friends with told me this past weekend he uses hondabrite (or s-100). Hes been a mechanic for like 35 years and said its the best hes ever used..

·
Registered
423 Posts
its best to use a cleaner but if you're lazy theres this gasket remover spray that i found washes off the toughest baked on grease! it sprays ice cold but burns skin on contact

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
sr20hardbody said:
its best to use a cleaner but if you're lazy theres this gasket remover spray that i found washes off the toughest baked on grease! it sprays ice cold but burns skin on contact

Mmmm that stuff sounds like the juice for a good friday night out lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
chemdip! i had a goped cylender that was just disgusting, dipped it for about 5 mins and it looked better than new. its sold in like a paint can size bucket, its like carb cleaner X100 no scrubbing required

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i looked further into the chem dip, stuff seams pretty damn potenet. I think ill buy some; not to sure where to buy it. Im guessing an autozone or napa..hm

·
Registered
569 Posts
baconaddict said:
chemdip! i had a goped cylender that was just disgusting, dipped it for about 5 mins and it looked better than new. its sold in like a paint can size bucket, its like carb cleaner X100 no scrubbing required

will it eat thru certain materials tho?

·
Registered
291 Posts
chemdip will eat gaskets and rubber, but it looks like your motor is disassembled so that shouldnt be a problem. no clue where to buy it, ive had the can at the house forever. its like the legal form of "the dip" from rodger rabbit its freekin awesome

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
on their site there is a napa logo so im gonna stop in there later and check it out. I wish i had more things that needed cleaning

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
If the part will fit in a crock-pot, stew it in DOT 3 on medium heat for about 48 hours. No scrubbing. Wont damage a thing. Will look like factory new, guaranteed.

Dont tell the wife you used her crock pot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Brake fluid?? WTF never heard that one!

If it wasn't already posted oven cleaner is pretty good at attacking grease just don't let it sit on aluminum too long as it is caustic..

·
Registered
114 Posts
ShapeShifter said:
If the part will fit in a crock-pot, stew it in DOT 3 on medium heat for about 48 hours. No scrubbing. Wont damage a thing. Will look like factory new, guaranteed.

Dont tell the wife you used her crock pot.

hah nice

1 - 20 of 25 Posts