PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to get my head apart so I could get it ported, and I have gotten almost everything off, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the valve springs, retainers, off so I can remove my valves,do I need a special tool to remove these? if anyone could help out me with this, your help would be greatly appriciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
you'll pretty much have to buy a valve spring compressor tool or make one. its almost impossible without one. I made one with a c-clamp, a deep socket cutout, and another 12mm socket.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
get a 13mm deep socket and a hammer. put the socket on the valve spring retainer and give it a nice solid hit. make sure you kinda follow through with it. the keepers should pop right out. if not just do it a few more times. its really simple to do. getting them back in though, I would suggest using the propper stuff.

·
Registered
322 Posts
take it to a honda shop

if youve got everything off and just need the retainers off 10 bux max

another 10 to put it back together 20 bux and its done right

do not use a hammer, use a c clamp if you have too and a socket just to get them off, then take it to the shop and have it put back together

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
hammer, pencil, and your buddy

To take off and on, all you need is a hammer, socket, pencil, small screwdriver, wrench, and your buddy.

Taking them off is easy...put a socket over the valve, smack with hammer, done.

Getting on is easy too.

Remove the rockers and insert a really thin screwdriver.

Use leverage of an open end wrench from the screwdriver to compress the spring.

Have your buddy drop the keeper in and arrange it toward the top. Use the pencil (the kind you click to get the lead) to move the keeper. Once in position, put the bottom keeper in. Slowly let the wrench up and it is done. Takes about a minute to do. Works every time.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Re: hammer, pencil, and your buddy

fatcaaat said:
Getting on is easy too.

Remove the rockers and insert a really thin screwdriver.

Use leverage of an open end wrench from the screwdriver to compress the spring.

Have your buddy drop the keeper in and arrange it toward the top. Use the pencil (the kind you click to get the lead) to move the keeper. Once in position, put the bottom keeper in. Slowly let the wrench up and it is done. Takes about a minute to do. Works every time.

thats pretty slick. I have my head apart and am getting it ported as well. I was wondering how i was going to get the valve springs back on without the proper tools.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Justin, thats how we put the valve springs and valves back in my old head, only differnce was we didnt use a pencil.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i have replaced about 20 valves from people banging them with hammers and bending them

i wouldnt recomend it

·
Registered
252 Posts
Another good way to get the valve springs in or out is to make a tool out of pvc pipe.

Get a peice of 3/4 inch pvc and cut a notch out of the bottom about 1 inch high. This allows you to get the retainers out without any "pesuasion" (a.k.a. a hammer) and can be done by one person pretty easy.

I wish my camera was working then I would post a pic for everybody.

G

·
Where are you guys getting all these heads and stuff to do? If your a mechanic the shop you work for should have tools. If you do it in your garage and know you will do over 100 valves then I suggest getting a valve spring compressor to make it easy and safe.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I have done other heads other than Honda stuff. A ton of VW heads and mazda heads. Could somebody please explain a little more thoroughly how to reinstall them with a wrench and screw driver. I cant seemt o figure out how to do it. thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
how hard is it to get a valve spring compressor? if i were you guys i would buy one because they are a very good investment. 1 tool, 1 man. easy. you dont have to fiddle for other tools. what happened to the men who wanted to own every tool imaginable? stop being so frugal and get a valve spring compressor! :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.