PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this stock 06 CRF50 in 09 from a 10yr old. Since then, it's been through several variations. Stunt, street legal, carbon CRF50Z. I sold the carbon CRF50Z, but due to most everything being swapped out on it.... I bought a $85 shipped 03 frame and built me another stunt bike. Been riding it like this since 2014, not changing much other than oil.

I built my '22 Hayabusa in May (+4 arm, 240 tire on widened stock wheel), powdercoat, list goes on.... but I had no plans or reason to build another bike until I started looking at fat tires for it and due to how long it hasn't been shown any love so here we go...

A few weeks ago I ordered some 8x3.5 Kitaco wheels from Japan with 120/70 tires. Z50 forks and Z50 aftermarket triple for my ProTaper bars. Z50 hubs/brakes. I haven't decided if I'm tearing the bike down to change up the powdercoat colors. Due to the wider Z50 forks, the stock fender will look funny. I had 2 spare fenders laying around so I did what anyone would do.. Cut them up and make 1 wide front fender!

I have 1-2 month wait for my wheels and tires, so keeping occupied with sanding....because everyone loves sanding. I took a set of white plastics and skinned them in urban camoflauge carbon fiber fabric. Not a quick project, but it's progressing. I have the sides and tail ready for clear coat and just started skinning the wide fender and the fork guards last night.

Pictures of previous variations. Plenty of pics to follow of current build and will update as build goes on when stuff arrives.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Widened front fender. Plastic welded and skinned in carbon.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dry fabric applied.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Epoxy coat 2, with peel ply applied on top to build it up a little more before sanding again.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Side and tail all sanded and ready for clear. Starting the new fender with 1 coat of epoxy, will be sanding next.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And the fork guards done in typical black 2x2 twill carbon since Lightspeed doesn't make them now. Since I already had 2 kinds of fabric going on, decided to do a set of guards in purple carbon to make 3 types of fabric. May be building a 3rd bike this year, one for my 4yr old and it'll be purple themed.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice!! Where'd you get the camo carbon from? Kinda want to build something like this for my bike, and build some for my kiddo's 50, to make it a twin.
Thanks! Composite Envisions...

You should, that's pretty much how this all came about... wanting to build something for my kid, then got side tracked waiting for the white 2023 and modifying mine that we ride together for now.

Reactions: Falkon45

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks! Composite Envisions...

You should, that's pretty much how this all came about... wanting to build something for my kid, then got side tracked waiting for the white 2023 and modifying mine that we ride together for now.
Thanks man!! Yeah, I ended up building mine, so I could ride with the kiddo. He want's ours to be twins, but I'm trying to convince him to change his wheel color from red to anything else. lol. I might try and get ours to match my MT-10's wheel color, as that will be easier for me to do with both our bikes. And, it'll be dope with the camo.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anytime, glad to help when I can! Definitely agree, anything but red. Bike too, lol.

I guess I should post how mine CRF looks currently, forgot to include it originally. and it does match my Hayabusa in colors, even Shocker Yellow powdercoat.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Swapping phones since the last post, so not too many pictures since I haven't copied them over. But I here a couple, before final sanding started. All 10 pieces are currently at the painters for some satin clear. Normally I'd clear myself, but since they're already prepped to 600 grit and just need to be wiped an/sprayed I don't think it'll cost much more than the 2 part rattle can of 2k satin clear I planned to use. Plus will be a fresh set of eyes looking over the prep I did, which is never a bad thing.

Kitaco 8x3.5 wheels are slated to ship from Japan on Oct. 28 so maybe around Thanksgiving I'll have them in my hands (on bike)

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is outstanding, please keep us in the loop.

Do you do custom CF work as a hobby or profession?
Thanks! Just as a hobby, at least when a project can use it. Slowly getting better with it.

Just got notification wheels/tires/forks shipped from Webike, will be interesting to see how long it takes via FedEx to get to me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that was quick. Picked up in Japan Monday, on my door step before I get off work Tuesday.

Not sure how I feel about the gold but was same price as chrome or black. Quality is awesome and will rock it for a while to see how it looks together. The Z forks are about 1" wider than CRFs.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those are going to look slick!

Gold Is always the correct choice for wheel color!
I'm thinking the same, hard to go wrong with it. And the quality is there to keep them gold too.

I should have plastics back from the painter by the end of the week. Timing isn't great with heading to SEMA next week. I will attempt to get/start tearing the bike down this weekend, but will be a couple of weeks to finish it up.

I ordered these Honda emblems a year ago from China. I could only find from one vendor so definitely not a popular item, but I've been fond. May will paint them, unsure at this point. I have drawn them to scale in CAD and will attempt to 3D model some matching CRF50 emblems to print, will share modeling pics along the way. Goal is basically to have actual emblems on the bike instead of vinyl decals, but may look funny so could be just an exercise for more 3D modeling experience.

I also finally got my seat in line with Fisher Upholstery to modify mine. It'll be the same/similar shape of the carbon orange CRF I built. 6 month lead time right now, so will be a while. I normally would just leave the tall seat, but with my daughter fixing to get her own CRF I am hoping for alot more seat time on mine and the 8" width will be welcome to my 43yr old body, lol.

Anyone know what this emblem could be a copy from? Looks like it could be for an older trail bike, maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not 100% positive, but I think Honda used them on their Dax models in Europe. The one guy on here who would know for sure is RAZZO
Did a quick search and actually got some hits with the Dax. Not alot, but definitely pointed towards it. I did not know what they were called, but definitely recognize the bike.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts