PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you can use a 1990 and newer upper tripple from an XR80 on a CRF 70. I want to be able to rais the forks up and a 70 stock clamp will not allow it. I know BBR sells an upper clamp but I do not have that much cash to spend right now. Or if anybody has a used SP-5 upper tripple to sell????
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,385 Posts
I bought a set of triples from an 1985 XR100 on ebay, and then removed the steering stem, machined it to XR/CRF50 specs, and had it rewelded back into the lower triple. They are the same 27mm size as the XR/CRF70 forks. The only downside is the design of the upper triple, you can only raise the forks about 1" and then the fork tops hit the underside of the handlebars.

They are shown below with a set of '83 XR80 forks, and a mid 90's Z50R front wheel that I modified to fit in place.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think in my case moving it about an inch would work fine. I have a 70 swinger on the 50 and a Fox Float so it does not look as choppered as I have seen but I can tell that it does not have enough weight transfer when you hit the front brake. I either need to drop the forks or go with a 12" rear ( not an option I like).





In other words it is like on the edge of being just right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
yea I had that setup on my 70 for awhile until I got the BBR top clamp. Like mentioned , you can only move the fork tubes up an inch or so.



And the XR80 forks are some of the best I've had on my 70. They are comparable to my 50 zokes. They felt soooo good! I regret selling them and getting my RCM forks....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
do think it would be an upgrade getting xr 80 forks and getting rid of my xr 70 forks with bbr sp5 damping rods and bbr springs. I also kind of want the taller ride height. what did you do to make your xr 80 forks feel so good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
CrazyJohnny said:
do think it would be an upgrade getting xr 80 forks and getting rid of my xr 70 forks with bbr sp5 damping rods and bbr springs. I also kind of want the taller ride height. what did you do to make your xr 80 forks feel so good?


I've never rode 70 forks with the rods in them just the springs. So I don't know if they would compare to the 80 forks or not.



All I did was either put 15 or 20wt fork oil in the 80 forks. never put HD springs or anything in them. I weigh 155 give or take and they felt great on everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
What is the difference between the BBR triple clamp and the 80 clamp. I know with both, you can move the forks up and down in the clamp. So why not just save the money and get the xr/crf80 clamps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Thanks for your help. I will try and find a BBR triple clamp. The Chinese need to make a copy of the BBR triple clamp. They pretty much make all other aftermarket parts.



I bet most BBR parts are made in China. There is no reason they should charge $130 for a part that holds the forks and the handlebars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I bet most BBR parts are made in China. There is no reason they should charge $130 for a part that holds the forks and the handlebars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bob123 said:
What is the difference between the BBR triple clamp and the 80 clamp. I know with both, you can move the forks up and down in the clamp. So why not just save the money and get the xr/crf80 clamps?




same reason as up top
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
nice finally found the thread!



Yeah I got xr80 forks im slapping on my crf50 already did the steering stem cut and weld to fit the 50 head stem but need a triple clamp!





Im surprised nobody else makes a clamp like this but for cheaper!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
found a company that makes the same style clamp but even better actually for 100 bucks instead of 150 like bbr!



They'll make em for big bars or 7/8ths and 2 sizes of risers too!





These would be perfect you could raise up the front forks 2.5 inches!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
96Justin said:
found a company that makes the same style clamp but even better actually for 100 bucks instead of 150 like bbr!



They'll make em for big bars or 7/8ths and 2 sizes of risers too!





These would be perfect you could raise up the front forks 2.5 inches!




nice...who makes this link???????
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top