PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '74 xr75 I am going to resto-mod.. I plan on riding it while I start my son out on his ttr90 I have for him.. I have seen a lot of threads on setting these bikes up with xr100, mr175, and cr80 front ends, but I am still unsure of what years will fit. So what is the best front end for these bikes and what modifications are necessary?? Can I use the stock 75 triple trees with cr forks? Any info would be appreciated..

Thanks

-David

· Registered
824 Posts
1980 to 1986 CR80R (1986 is disk brake)

XR100, 100R forks are virtually the same (100R has leading axle) as the 75's stock fork.

Personally I prefer XR80R forks, CT90/110 front wheel (steel, 17"). Takegawa and Kitaco both make almost affordable (and non affordable) rear shocks (in different lengths) that bolt on.

I'd suggest using the triple designed for the fork (CR80R forks won't fit other clamps anyway).

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

XR100, 100R forks are virtually the same (100R has leading axle) as the 75's stock fork.

Personally I prefer XR80R forks, CT90/110 front wheel (steel, 17"). Takegawa and Kitaco both make almost affordable (and non affordable) rear shocks (in different lengths) that bolt on.

I'd suggest using the triple designed for the fork (CR80R forks won't fit other clamps anyway).
why do you prefer the xr80 forks?

· Registered
179 Posts
You need to use the triple that goes with the fork. Mucho importante' Without doing so affects the geometery in a very bad way. Tried to run the early XR75/80 triple with the '84 leading edge forks. No Go on that one. The CR front is near bolt on and I believe that there is a tapered bearing kit that fits (instead of 42 damn it balls that will go everywhere when torn down!). You may need to adjust the fork length if using the MR or SL fork set up.

Also check on ebay for the China rear shocks. You can get affordable 13.1 or 12 inch shocks reasonable. If you go with the later XR80 fork, you need the triples and the brake cable is at a funny angle (zip tie to the fork & your fine). You will also need to make a spacer to center the front rim (bronze bushing works fine from the hardware store).

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow.. those mr forks are long... I can't find anything locally here in alaska so this is going to be an ebay... I'm thinking I will probably go with the cr forks and triple if those are the closest fit..

· Registered
1 Posts

this is what I ended up with 1980 CR80 triple clamps honed out Youfit 1978 Suzuki rm100 Forks. 1979 rm50 brake hub had to mellow out the notch for the brake hub. Cable lined up very well what wait a little bit longer cable you can either add on to the fork stop or the frame stop excellent and looks great used Maier front fender with spacers.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.