PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I see basic tech questions in the forum all the time regarding how to build and assemble various motor combinations.

Rather than fumble through installs, purchase some repair manuals.

For instance, clymer makes an XR50 repair manual, but for motor work, their 50-110cc singles manual covers the manual clutch setup, and all the upper end work including torque specs, and all the lower end goodies.

These motors are simple folks. Take the time to review the Honda or Clymer repair manuals, and you'll be on your way to not only become a better mechanic, but will be able to breeze through a wide variety of engine modifications.

Now with that said, there are a bunch of wacky parts on the market that won't be covered in those manuals (inner rotor, etc.) but by familiarizing yourself with how the engine works, and how parts bolt on and off, you will be well on your way.

These manuals can be purchased anywhere. Now go read, build and enjoy.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
i dont think the manual is gonig to tell people what is a better bbk a kitaco or TB or if they should do head work with a 88kit or what will work with what.

dont get me wrong the manual is very helpful. so the need for people to constantly ask is sorta required for them and their exact setup. ALL should search before they ask the question. so i dont know exactly where your post was going but i think its just a heads up for people to know that they should have a clymers or honda manual hadny if they plan on wrenchin on their own motors....and not to go buy this manual and expect it to give you information on what is the best motor parts or best setup and from who.

"go read, build and enjoy"

its not that easy. but if you have any knowledge it is.

*edit* btw, z88r, u get my PM. would be great for you to reply. thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a '04 CRF and picked up a Clymers for the XR50 1997-2003. Defintely a great investment for $20. I've got my fiddy running smooth. I was clueless on how to jet the bike and dial in the carb. Now it's almost time to install my TB BBK.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
disregard my last post.....i dont know what i was thinking.....i misunderstood z88r's post.....i gotcha now.

and i agree 100%

if you dont know how to dial in your bike then read up! but dont expect it to tell you whats good and whats not.

i have a headache and i cant think straight right now.....sorry guys...i dont even know what im trying to say anymore...lol

ziiiiiiiipppppp

G

·
Clymers

I have a Clymers manual and it was one of the first things I bought when I got my 50. However, being the total mechanical novice that I am, even with reading Clymers, I needed a little extra help. I got it here on these boards from some awesomely helpful people. I did try to take the time to search to be sure the question hadn't already been answered before though.

I actually wish there was a 50s for dummies for folks like me instead of a Clymers. :)

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PIMPINdaHOES said:
*edit* btw, z88r, u get my PM. would be great for you to reply. thanks

Didn't get your PM. However, I treat PM's and email like regular mail. Sometimes I respond, sometimes I don't feel the need. Don't take it personal, but if I don't have anything to add to a question, I don't answer it.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
thats the same problem i had too.....i didnt understand what he was saying...then i couldnt talk right myself.

but he is just saying that if you dont know whats up with your motor and how things work...a manual will help that out alot!

i guess. dont try to send him an e-mail or PM he only responds to certain ones....thanks again for the help...buddy

·
Registered
140 Posts
i get it now it was kinda confusing at first but then i kept reading and reading my brain was going to explode from the already stress of just getting on summer vacation. But thanx z88 for the lil lesson, ill keep it in mind to purchase the manaul the next time i run by it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Bryce, every post I've read tonight has you making two posts in a row bro. Use the edit button like fiveOaddict said.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let me put this in simple terms.

Rather than asking questions about how to install a big bore kit, a stroker crank, a manual clutch kit, or how to change the oil, or how to remove the cam chain tensioner, or how to install a camshaft into the head, or how to correctly set the valves, purchase a repair manual, read it, and learn how to do it.

Between the Honda factory service manuals, and the Clymer Repair Manuals, it covers most of the engine builds.

However, when you start getting into funky off the crank clutch installs, and tuning a downdraft FCR28 carb, you'll better understand engine dynamics and will be more confident to tackle those installs too.

Has MiniStav taken over as the forum post whore? While I didn't think anyone could add more worthless posts than Bryce, it appears he has some competition!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hey z88r,

Just curious to as why you see me as a 'postwhore' besides the fact my post count is high. Atleast I dont reply with 'sick' 'awesome' 'haha' like a lot of members on the board.

Even if you dont think my posts have meanings, look real deep, and you'll see pretty much EVERY one of my posts has a meaning. Like this one for instance, its off-topic, but im still questioning you.

Just because not every one of my posts has something to do with motors or stirring up shit with industry people, like yourself, doesn't mean its not pointless.

I dont post to get my post count higher, I could careless.

Actually, just for shits and giggles, admin, please remove my post count completely.

Hey z88r,

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And what's the point in one of your last posts:

Forum: Roost Area! Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:37 am Subject: # 2000

First one to 2000.

Logikal wrote:

My new ranking should be

"Post whore with good posts"

I didnt need to start a new thread, but, I mean, 2000. How could I resist.

If the admins removed your post count, you'd most likely take a long walk off a short pier and end your life.. Admins, please remove Logikals post count please...

G

·
post count means nothing. i still don't see the point in deleting his count. i still think there should be an OG group like cam said a long time ago. People that may not post much but that have been here for a long time. I give bryce a hard time but he knows its all in fun. he gets me and i get him. i don't think he is a post whore although i call him it sometimes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.