PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K, all you tuning Guru's..

Before I get flamed on, I already searched and know there's plenty of variables involved. Here's the scenario:

Has:

88 kit

aftermarket Pipe

keihin 20mm carb

80 main

35 pilot

needle 2nd clip to top

idle screw, out 3 turns

fuel screw, out 1/8 turn

1030 ft. above sea level

Bike hesitates from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, and idles real high.

Dialed my main jet in already, WOT runs fine no bogs. Started off with 89 main. Also tried all the clip level and it runs best at 2nd from top. No other pilot jets yet, your suggestion will decide if I buy some.

My thoughts:

pilot is too big. Thinking of going one or two lower than 35 and setting needle clip in middle and going from there.

Just wanted some thoughts/suggestion on:

main/pilot jet size

needle clip level

idle/fuel screw turn outs

Thx.

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts
Go up to a #38 pilot jet, and turn the air screw OUT to 1-3/4 turns. Then, try 1/4-turn increments IN at a time, to richen it. The pilot circuit as it is now is too lean. Off-idle to 1/4 throttle is controlled by the pilot jet circuit. Also, try the needle jet at the 3rd notch from the top, as a baseline to work from. The jet needle controls from 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Well it controls how much air goes into the fuel on the low end of the fuel curve.So in will make it more rich.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
geezer said:
Try what he said. You could see if its better or worse with the choke on.

Tried this, doesn't help the idle.. The bike will start with first kick but idle really high then drop abit bit still high.. Idle screw is already out 3 turns. I tried the air (fuel screw) all the way but this makes it idle high then die, also won't start back up until I back it out 1/8 turn again.

Do you think my main is O.K? Did a WOT (no bogs) run and pulled the plug and it looks good, abit grayish..

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
quadtro said:
Tried this, doesn't help the idle.. The bike will start with first kick but idle really high then drop abit bit still high.. Idle screw is already out 3 turns. I tried the air (fuel screw) all the way but this makes it idle high then die, also won't start back up until I back it out 1/8 turn again.

Do you think my main is O.K? Did a WOT (no bogs) run and pulled the plug and it looks good, abit grayish..
It sounds like you have a vacume leak

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts
+1 on the air leak. Spray some contact cleaner on the manifold/carb area, and also on the manifold/head area. If there is a change (up or down) on the RPM level, and then it returns back to where it was, you have an air leak.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dirtbkr188 said:
+1 on the air leak. Spray some contact cleaner on the manifold/carb area, and also on the manifold/head area. If there is a change (up or down) on the RPM level, and then it returns back to where it was, you have an air leak.

No leaks.. Ordered some pilot jets and will try the 38 and needle clip 3rd from top and see how it goes.

Thx guys.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K...got the 38 pilot in. Will only start with fuel screw 1/2 turn out. Idle screw 3 turn out. Starts but will only idle for bout 30sec then dies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts