PlanetMinis Forums banner
161 - 168 of 168 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Alright so got a little work done on the bike yesterday. Going to button some stuff up tomorrow hopefully.
Got the new cam sprocket installed. I hate installing these things. It’s a tight fit to get everything lined up due to the sprocket being almost the diameter of the opening and just not a lot of wiggle room to get the chain on. Also the adjustable hub is a super tight fit into the cam itself, it being a little thicker takes away some room as well. All in all it probably took me a solid 45 minutes to have the top and bottom end lined up properly with the chain in the correct tooth and then get it onto the shaft.
Motorcycle Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tomorrow going to weld on the new silencer adapter and hopefully get a nice spacer made up on the lathe. Also the shock mount which I had red filled lower has ovaled out. So I made up some spacer/washers to weld up on the mount and reinforce it. Hopefully get it up and running this week.

· Registered
2 Posts
Alright so got a little work done on the bike yesterday. Going to button some stuff up tomorrow hopefully.
Got the new cam sprocket installed. I hate installing these things. It’s a tight fit to get everything lined up due to the sprocket being almost the diameter of the opening and just not a lot of wiggle room to get the chain on. Also the adjustable hub is a super tight fit into the cam itself, it being a little thicker takes away some room as well. All in all it probably took me a solid 45 minutes to have the top and bottom end lined up properly with the chain in the correct tooth and then get it onto the shaft.
View attachment 278093
Tomorrow going to weld on the new silencer adapter and hopefully get a nice spacer made up on the lathe. Also the shock mount which I had red filled lower has ovaled out. So I made up some spacer/washers to weld up on the mount and reinforce it. Hopefully get it up and running this week.
This bike is sick, dude!
I'm currently rebuilding a TTR right now. I also got a yz80 roller. Trying to decide weather or not to go through the work of putting the yz rear on. I know you run the LE rear, do you think there is any advantage to having the yz rear over LE, other than disk brakes? I feel calipers could be added to the LE arm fairly easily anyway. Also something I noticed, It looks like you might be able to get more rear end height with the LE rear by moving the mount hole, than you can with using the yz parts. Would you agree?

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
This bike is sick, dude!
I'm currently rebuilding a TTR right now. I also got a yz80 roller. Trying to decide weather or not to go through the work of putting the yz rear on. I know you run the LE rear, do you think there is any advantage to having the yz rear over LE, other than disk brakes? I feel calipers could be added to the LE arm fairly easily anyway. Also something I noticed, It looks like you might be able to get more rear end height with the LE rear by moving the mount hole, than you can with using the yz parts. Would you agree?
The YZ shock does at least have high and low speed compression. The LE rear swingarm is the same just aluminum as the L model. Adding a disc could work but you’d need a hub that fits between the arms, weld a mount ect. The drum brake honestly works fine. Unsure about more travel between the two. With the drilled mount I still had to reinforce the new hole as it ovaled over time. And it does affect the linkage rate a bit. The YZ conversion is more work for sure. I just go with it isn’t a race bike and an adjustable LE chock revalved works perfectly fine.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Back from the dead… again. I’ve been working on the bike off and on. Was still burning oil like crazy despite changing the valve seals. Pulled the engine other than looking like it was burning oil nothing appeared wrong majorly. I’m 100% sure I assembled the original oil ring set incorrectly so it wasn’t sealing. I was younger and dumber. So new top end and gaskets installed with rings setup correctly. Priming the oil now and we will see what happens. Installed the new silencer. Still need to repaint the exhaust but it works for now. Cross y’all’s fingers. If the engine is good I have some plans for the suspension to get a bit more dialed in.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

Font Gas Machine Technology Auto part

Font Finger Automotive tire Nail Drinkware

· Registered
2 Posts
The YZ shock does at least have high and low speed compression. The LE rear swingarm is the same just aluminum as the L model. Adding a disc could work but you’d need a hub that fits between the arms, weld a mount ect. The drum brake honestly works fine. Unsure about more travel between the two. With the drilled mount I still had to reinforce the new hole as it ovaled over time. And it does affect the linkage rate a bit. The YZ conversion is more work for sure. I just go with it isn’t a race bike and an adjustable LE chock revalved works perfectly fine.
Cool, thanks for the info!

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Well fired it up. Initially smoked a bunch but just until all the old oil was burnt off in the head and in the exhaust. Also clutch is working fine. One downside is some smoke from the crankcase but not too bad. I need to dial in the jetting. Running a keihin PE28 from a CR80. Had a 150 main in but the AFR was about 9:1 (had some blue smoke for sure) so dropped down to a 145 and now at idle we’re at 12:1. At half to full throttle it’s leaning out a lot like 18-20:1 and bogging. Currently running a 155 main but it’s not enough. I’ll try a 170 and see where it lands. Possibly raise the needle one clip and go from there. Either way getting progress and confidence this thing will finally work sooner or later.

161 - 168 of 168 Posts