PlanetMinis Forums banner
141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Well 99% sure it’s the valve stem seals after picking some brains. Going to hit up RC scooters and Drow sports for the parts. Partially tempted to order a nicer taiadia head with 24mm/23mm valves vs 23/21mm and my cheaper one as they are the top tiers of heads but realistically it would make more sense to just have mine cleaned up/polished.

I also sent out to a quote get a few sprockets made out of 4140 steel and zinc plated. But also asked if they had another recommendation for my needs/uses hopefully hear back soon.

That’s it for now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Ordered everything today.
Valve stem seals were $4
Gasket set was $12 ea so I ordered 2
Ordered another piston and ring set for future needs of it arises $90 so not bad

The pain is the new cam sprockets Contacted a few different places to get it done out of 4140. Heat treated and zinc coated. Also ended up making the sprocket slightly thinner to help with a smoother chain action. The setup is the pain each sprocket is only $20 but having to pay $400 in setup fees sucks. Oh well I’ve spent way more than that at this point 😂

have parts coming from Taiwan and then the machine shop so probably 3 weeks from now before I get to make any progress. Oh well it’s been like 5 years at this point.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Clips of it running

First Start

Running and little rev

First Ride (too rich and some clutch slip) limiting speed. Also stock ECU with its really low rev limiter.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Got the majority of the parts in just waiting on the new cam sprockets. Got the cost down by switching back to waterjet cutting of 1/8” 4140, then when I get it home I’ll do a slight chamfer on the teeth on my lathe. Then do some heat treating. Was able to drop the cost from $400 to $200 doing this instead. Skip the zinc coating as well.
Font Creative arts Circle Pattern Symmetry

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Today got my new silencer mocked up. I need to weld the reducer piece in place but first I’ll pull the shock and cycle the rear wheel so I can make sure everything clears the new silencer since it’s bit bigger than the old one. I loved the sound and look of my old one but it was just way too loud.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
No photos today but progress none the less.
got the intake valve seals changed without pulling the head doing it kind of red neck but it works. Rope in the cylinder through the spark plug hole and then turning the crank until I have pressure on the valves.

I used a 12mm wrench to push down the retainers and a magnet to remove the collets. Reverse to reinstall. Old seals are a bit hard so that was probably the problem. Need to do the exhaust still but I might have to pull the front end to get a good angle to work on it.

still waiting on the new sprocket before I can really fully re assemble. Was hoping to test it this Thursday but probably won’t happen I rather wait for the new sprocket than use my extra SS one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Well the shop contacted me and said they had their material pricing incorrect and it went from about $250 to $580 for the sprocket. So I’m currently reaching out to some other places for other options. I could save some cash by going 4130 but unsure of how long it will last. Hopefully hear back soon from the 20 other places I reached out to and go from there.

141 - 150 of 150 Posts