PlanetMinis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
And we're back!

So i had a bit of a panic about the oil passage to the head Today but I squished my worry as well.
The TTR oil runs up the front right cylinder stud hole then into the cam and out to the rest of the head originally. (right being as if your sitting on the bike)
On the Zuma the oil runs from the right Rear stud hole up and into the cam.

So when i pulled the cam out of the two heads i realized the TTR and the zuma had their oil passage for the cam opposite to each other.
TTR Head on left Zuma on the right.
Wheel Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system Tire
Wheel Auto part Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

so at first i wasn't sure how to make it pass from the front stud to the cam because the head doesn't have an room to even drill a new oil passage.
The area surrounded in red is where the oil goes from the stud hole to the cam. in the blue is where it needs to be in order to run from the TTR oil source. as you can see no room to drill.
Auto part Tool accessory Engine Machine Metal

SO i took the air compressor and plugged one hole at a time to see if there was by chance a cross over between studs that i just couldn't see. And there IS!!! was so stoked!!
Auto part Tire Wheel Rim Engine

The ares highlighted in red is where it passes from the front stud to the rear stud so oil passageway is good to roll!

So back to my cam sprocket issue this is where once again i had to turn to studying other pictures to find an answer. I sent an email to PMW and had no response which in the past he was very fast to respond so i'm guessing they don't want to just had over their solutions to this issue because this is one of their custom pieces. I understand and that's all there is to say about that.. I am going to ask Firepower minis for some help and see what happens. They have a sweet adjustable cam sprocket that they are running and have posted a few pictures of but they are running a different style cam chain. So i am curious what they are doing.

But in my explorations of their facebook have found the old solution to making the ttr sprocket fit. they machined a spacer so that it would fit correctly on the O.D. cam and cut down the alignment key so that it fits perfectly. they appear to have used brass. my plan is to use steel get it tig welded in place and then throw it on the lathe and smooth it all out. i may throw it on the drill press as well and throw a few holes in it to lose some weight for some more revs. I figure ill make 2 or 3 sprockets and send one off to get an adjustable made if nobody will sell me one. Here is a pic of the spacer solution.

Bicycle part Gear Bicycle drivetrain part Auto part Derailleur gears

So that is where we are for now. I'm getting irritated about my piston kit. if i don't hear anything this week i'm going to cancel my order and go bigger 65mm. If i get some cash i'm going to go crazy and get the crank lightened and balanced. i really wish there was a nice billet Clutch for this thing. anyways if anyone has any ideas let me know!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Alright! so 58.5mm kit i ordered keeps going farther on back order. So i am ordering the 65mm Kit. That will put us to about 180cc think its technically like 179.2 but we will see how it goes.

More good news Terry over at FPM is willing to hook me up with the cam and sprocket. will be awesome to be able to adjust cam timing to squeeze a bit more out of her.

Also working on planning a oil cooler.

Parts list updated. (this is no longer the cheapest option lol)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Damn man! I haven't checked this thread in awhile, you're getting all kinds of crazy with this thing now! Haha.
Haha ya finally got the lady a bike if her own a klx 140 actually so now I get to have more fun with this one and not have to worry about it being too much for her. Doesn't help I haven't thrown any of the updates on instagram haha. If all goes right should have this thing back on the track in a month or 2

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Me too. I'm currently stuck in the midst of moving to a new house so I'm on hold for a little bit but hopefully in the next month or two I can get it finished up. Hopefully it runs like a beast with no issues but we shall see how that goes!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Alright so here are the new ideas I am attempting. I am changing out the sprocket on the crank to match the Zuma cam sprocket this sprockets comes from a 2015 TTR125. (I believe 2011+ already is equipped)
I ordered a stock Zuma 125 timing chain. I am not sure if the length will be correct but it is worth a shot. If not I'll order correct length. This chain should actually be stronger and quieter as well.
I have a few ideas on how to adjust the cam timing but I am hoping I won't have to. I'm going to stick with the cam that came with the head and try it to begin.
I ordered the 65mm cylinder and piston kit. Still hoping to 're use the sleeve from this if not then off to get a custom one.

Ordered a race tech bladder cap for my shock for some sexyness lol. That's it for now. Should all be here by end of the month.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
yeah this sprocket is incorrect on the tooth count updates ahead.

Some good news the adjustable cam gear has been located! And it's only $37 not $100 from performance planet usa. It is made by Naraku.
Font Auto part

This bike has been becoming a bit more realistic. Bad news jaingwayne is once again out of stock on their big bore kit. I have decided to use a USA supplier either drow sports or RC engineering. So I shall update as I find more goodies or as parts come in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Woo Zuma 125 cam chain is perfect length!!
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Gear Tool accessory

The chain sliders are not in place so chain has some extra slack currently. Also my crank sprocket is still not in stock at motorsport hopefully soon. It's nice that I'm not going to need fpm or pmw for any work anymore. I did make a change I axed the cylinder and piston kit for just a piston kit and am going to ask L.A. sleeve to custom build a aluminum sleeve and I'll have it plated. Well that's it for today!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I have a feeling comments are being held of till people see proof that it runs haha! Well I have made a finals decision on who to have do my cylinder and case work. I am just waiting on the last 2 pieces of the puzzle and I can send the motor off for machine work.

Parts missing: adjustable cam sprocket, and my 65mm piston both have been shipped

The timing gear for the crank side came in today so we are good to go there.

on the left is the new 15 gear. On the right is the original gear from my 01
Auto part Wheel

Also fixed up my goofs in my shock revalve (make sure you use calipers to measure the shims) and installed an extended bladder cap.

Old and new cap.
Bumper Auto part Rim Wheel

New cap installed

I had tossed around the idea of having the crank stroked but have since decided not to as it wouldn't fit my riding style.
But to say the least I have planned for a very very very skilled forum member to complete the machine work needed. An aluminium sleeve and nikasil plating are in the final plan. While waiting on parts I'm going to start building my intake adapter so the stock airbox can be used if it needs to be.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Oh yeah I am excited to have him get the job done. I've had no doubt it would run. But he will make it run like a little monster. Speaking of which...

New piston came in today... 11mm over bore is quite a difference haha!

65mm piston (180cc) 58.5mm piston (150cc) and 54mm hi comp wiesco piston (125cc)
Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel
Automotive piston Piston ring Auto part Automotive engine part Metal

I don't think were in Kansas anymore....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
well just got back from honeymoon a few weeks ago in Hawaii. Was an awesome time and tons of fun!

Well adjustable cam sprocket came in a while back. Fits like a glove!! New crank and rod bearings came in. Titanium spring retainers installed on Monday. (I hate installing retainer
s) waiting for my gasket kits to come in as last set I ordered was incorrect!
Auto part Rim Automotive alternator Automotive wheel system Wheel

Titanium retainer and stock retainer.
Auto part Machine

That's it for now. Once gaskets come in. Pack it up and off to machine work!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Just a small update, everything made it to Stormin in one piece, so far old sleeve has been pressed out cylinder has been welded to accept the new head gasket, and the new aluminium sleeve is in process of being made. Once that's done it's off for cylinder plating and honing while the crank gets worked over. I still have a ton of work to do when the motor gets back in order to make this thing run good lol. Auto part Plumbing fitting
Auto part Vehicle Car

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Well we came across quite a few hiccups across the last few weeks. Ttr stock cylinder can't reliably be sleeved to 65mm. It starts to skeleton at this point.
So currently locating a new solution we've found a few but are making some decisions on size and what the smartest route is.

Also the crank and cam timing sprocket are not matched correctly, so back to the drawing board on that one. So I'm not sure when the motor will be done. But it will be done eventually.

Good news!
Ordered some bling for the ttr and a sweet go fast part haha!

ASV pro pack levers.
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Rim

New Pegs that I'm currently converting to low boy position.
Auto part Tire Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Vehicle

And a new carb!
Auto part Engine Fuel line Carburetor Automotive engine part

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Well received a beautiful package and shipped out some goods. Still waiting on one last part. Once StorminNorman is done with the engine then it will still be a bit before I get to ride it.

Need to fab up the intake manifold, also figure out some jetting for the FCR32 carb, at east I have the adjustable leak jet, adjustable fuel screw, and power bowl. Going to order up a boysen power wing as well.

Need to fab up a new airbox the pod filter just has too much risk of soaking up water for my comfort level.

I'll have to find a good spot to mount the oil cooler.

But should all be going good.

Oh by the way it's now a 74mm piston

Material property Table

41 - 60 of 162 Posts