PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am parting out my Mod 110 to start a ttr project, and I want to buy a YZ85 and a TTR125 and mix them. So obviously it can be done and I have seen a lot of TTR's with YZ85 forks, but I am wondering if anyone has used the swingarm, shock and rear wheel setup. Or, if it might be easier to just put the TTR motor in an 85 rolling chassis and make some motor mounts. I want to build a bigger bike that I can race in 4 stroke unlimited, but I want it to feel like a play bike/pit bike. Also might motard it. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
i did my klx125.. it was the big wheel edition... so what i was going to do was... kx100 forks with 17 inch wheel.... then use the swinger off my L model and put the 14 inch rear on.. so you still got great travel etc... and i know u can use the kx cr 85 shocks and swingers but need modification etc.. i have seen them done and they look sick... i did all mine but then sold it... worse mistake i have ever made :(

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PM sent

I don't have either of the bikes yet, just two KLX 110's lol. I need to part out my mod to get the cash, but I was planning on buying the L model. I got my first TTR 10 years ago, which was my first bike, and I have wanted to build a mod ever since. the greatest thing about this is you can sell the leftover parts and 85 motor and make a majority of your cash bike.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Something to think about if you go motard; I've read that (at least) one of the TTR models/years used an aluminum swinger instead of steel. Supposed to be a little wider than the steel one.

Plus the paint on the steel one sucks bad. Scratches way too easy.

I think there are different lengths of swingarms also, I guess between the Small/Big wheel versions. Mine's a 16"/19".(is this the "L" model?) You might want to try to find a small wheel version (14"/17" I think), depending on what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well with looking into all this conversion stuff, I came back to the idea of just having the stock suspension built by FEAL and focusing on making my motor rip. I plan to race this thing in four stroke open at pit bike races, and want it to be built for the track, but it'll probly see some trails also. What do you think?

·
Registered
258 Posts
We tried that, and it still sucked. Thats why we decided make the kit. Just not worth messin with the stock stuff if you wanna set it up for moto.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I built a TTR125 motard with YZ85 front and rear suspension. The front bolts up fairly easily. The rear takes some work. Both ends require stiffer springs and valving. I have done lots of mods to the motor also. Fun little bike. here is a pic of my bike. Let me know if you have any questions. Glad to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah thats super sick! dang now I want to do the swap again..i was just thinking that all the BBR TTR's use the stock suspension and they have a bunch dumped into those, but that's because BBR makes stiffer shock springs, so they need the stock suspension so they can put there parts on it :rolleyes: I should be trading my stock/mod for an 06 ttr +$200 for me so that'd be sick.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Twobros-oneten, do the the big bore kit, lightened flywheel, airbox mod, pipe, and 26mm carb. This really makes a difference over stock. If your not going to launch it 40ft, the stiffer front and rear springs will help.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I plan to launch it 40ft. lol but yeah, I am going to do all that, hopefully selling my mod suspension to have over a grand to put into that, but I want good suspension before I install a bore kit because I want to rail this thing haha and I hate building bikes that are too fast for the suspension to handle. I am pretty much planning on doing the YZ85 suspension swap, front and rear ends with Settin Trendz kit, but who knows.. for now I just want to enjoy my new TTR and mod it slowly so I can make some money on the side lol

·
Registered
597 Posts
XLr8r said:
Something to think about if you go motard; I've read that (at least) one of the TTR models/years used an aluminum swinger instead of steel. Supposed to be a little wider than the steel one.

I think there are different lengths of swingarms also, I guess between the Small/Big wheel versions. Mine's a 16"/19".(is this the "L" model?) You might want to try to find a small wheel version (14"/17" I think), depending on what you want to do with it.

Yep it's the 05 LE I have

·
Registered
597 Posts
XLr8r said:

It also has a remote resi shock

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so the non L's don't have a resi shock? Is the shock itself bigger on the L or just the swinger?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts