PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

New to this forum and I recently purchased a CRF50 that had the trigger brackets broken off the stator plate. I got that replaced and it now runs well. However, there's a "ticking" noise (metal on metal) in the transmission area. It's sometimes audible in first gear, very loud and you can feel it in second, and third is fine. Now, it seems that I remember reading somewhere on this forum about a screw that can possibly be put in wrong, although I can't see how you could mess up the stator replacement. Am I thinking wrong - was that a different issue? Also, any way to diagnose an internal tranny issue? To check, do I need to split the cases or can I get access from the right engine cover? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
More Than Likely Second Gear Has A Bad Tooth. The Only Way To Be Sure Witch Peices You Are Going To Need Is Splitting The Cases.

If You Take Your Time And Take Pictures Of Everything In Detail You Will Have No Problem Doing It Yourself. Right Before You Split The Cases Prop It Up With The Ignition Side Of The Crank Down, And Remove The Top Half Of The Case. This Way Nothing Falls Out And If You Don't Move Anything It Will Go Right Back Together.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fastfreak - suppose I should get a manual for torque specs and the procedure. To split the cases, I need to remove the head and cylinder. Is it as simple as disconnecting the timing chain and sliding the whole assembly off, or do I need to separate the head and cylinder? Can't remember if there's an access place to get the chain off.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE HEAD, CYLINDER, CLUTCH COMPONENTS AND THE FLYWHEEL. THERE IS A 14MM BOLT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CASE, REMOVE THIS AND THE SPRING/PLUNGER AND IT WILL TAKE TENSOIN OFF THE CAM CHAIN. REMOVE THE 2 BOLTS ON THE CAM SPROCKET AND THE NUT ON THE SIDE OF THE CYLINDER THAT HOLDS THE TENSIONING WHEEL IN PLACE. AFTER THAT REMOVE THE HEAD, THEN THE CYLINDER. MAKE SURE YOU SPLIT THE CASES WITH IT LAYING ON THE IGNITION SIDE (PROP IT UP SO THE END OF THE CRANK ISN'T TOUCHING THE BENCH) THAT WAY NOTHING WILL FALL OUT.:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.