PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
35? geezus, do you ever get traction.

On the 117 on a dry track (Gorman) I was running 12 pounds in the rear.

35 psi is a lot, try getting a rim lock, then you can take some of the preasure out of your tire and hook up a bit better.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
LOL it finds it eventually. Where can I get a rim lock for it at. I just upped the pressure so I wouldnt spin off valve stems in the mean time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For a stock motor I run around 30 psi on stock tires and never ripped a valve stem off. I had Pirellis and they had way too much bite, so I tried 45 PSI in them and the bike ripped and hooked up, but it was way too ridgid. So I went back to a stock tire. I also weigh 165 lbs.

·
Registered
491 Posts
LogiKal said:
35? geezus, do you ever get traction.

On the 117 on a dry track (Gorman) I was running 12 pounds in the rear.

35 psi is a lot, try getting a rim lock, then you can take some of the preasure out of your tire and hook up a bit better.

well with a 117 u have to have a rim lock if u didn't even with 50psi you would rip out a valve stem within seconds :roll:

·
Registered
121 Posts
We usually run around 12-14 pounds too. But I use rimlocks front and rear to prevent it from slipping. A rim lock costs a buck or so more than a single replacement tube, so from a money stand point it only makes sense. Then you can run good pressure so you have traction and not worry about ripping tubes. I'm going to use two rim locks on the 117 like on big bikes just to be sure. Might be overkill, but they're cheap, so why not? :D

~Ron

Xtreme Racing 50s

·
Registered
755 Posts
ron to be honest i have not a clue what a rim lock is or how to install one, so untill someone gets me a pic and some instructions ill be riding on rock hard 35 psi :lol:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yep a rim locks are a must for any mini over 88cc .

I wish we had them on our bikes at Lake Elsinore Grand prix( we were in a rush and forgot to get them installed) we got 2 flat tires 1 on each SE 117cc race bike .

Tire pressure is tricky it depends on rider weight,tire type and soil conditions.

·
Registered
121 Posts
SkinDonor said:
Yep a rim locks are a must for any mini over 88cc .

I wish we had them on our bikes at Lake Elsinore Grand prix( we were in a rush and forgot to get them installed) we got 2 flat tires 1 on each SE 117cc race bike .

Tire pressure is tricky it depends on rider weight,tire type and soil conditions.

Hahaha......Man, I got to hear about the Lake Elsinore flat deal for the next month after that happened. An eight dollar part kept him from getting the glory he's been looking for against the west coast crowd. :D

666>>>Gotta take the tire/tube off and drill a hole in the rim like a second valve-stem hole (usually opposite the existing valve-stem hole). Then reinstall the tire/tube, along with the rim lock. Once the tire's aired back up, you tighten the 12mm nut on the lock which pinches the bead down on to the rim so it can't spin. Very simple. If you look at pretty much any big bike, you'll see a threaded stud and nut sticking out of the rim somewhere. That's the rim lock.

~Ron

Xtreme Racing 50s

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yah that sucked we still came in third right behind Bryce and Engle on a Sano KTM65 with a 5 speed 124cc only about 8 bike lengths not bad for guys riding on a flat for 3 laps .

You should see the rims they were hammered to death . I sold one to MPR that was still usable so he could hook up our rear disc. brake set up.

The course had holes a foot deep all threw it I'am suprised they made it . Bean who was riding Classic's 117cc rocket got a flat too but Shane looked at me and said the hell with the race that rear wheel cost a fortune and he pulled Bean out of the race.

PS. man I was hoping no one knew about it :oops: oh well dang bead lock I'am still telling the machanics about that :x

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
SkinDonor said:
Yah that sucked we still came in third right behind Bryce and Engle on a Sano KTM65 with a 5 speed 124cc only about 8 bike lengths not bad for guys riding on a flat for 3 laps .

I think you forgot to add a little something there Vince hehe. Im on your side and all, but, you forgot to mention that you guys started approximately 1 minute before we did. We started with the mid-size bike class, you started in the 50 class. Matter in fact, you started about 2 minutes ahead of us, because it was a dead engine start, and the bike is impossible to get running.

You also forgot to add that we stalled the bike each time we came around and switched riders, except for once. Neautral was hard to find, and when we did find it, it clicked out. That cost us another good 3 minutes.

The backwards carb also main things real difficult. The bike was running horribly as soon as we got a bit of elevation in there. It was jetted wrong and it ran very boggy.

All in all, we whooped ya :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.