PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to do the timing on my crf 50 and having trouble aligning it up to the T mark. I've seen some videos on YouTube and seen some pics and those guys have it aligned exactly on the mark. I have it at tdc and it won't stay exactly on the t mark. Please help.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Once the cam chain tensioner tightens on the bottom one, it will move it an 1/8" or so.

EDIT: I thought I was in the crf80 section, but it still holds true, the cam chain tensioner will move it a tiny bit making it not line up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Timing seems lined up. But when I rev it up slowly I hit this spot about mid throttle and it sputters. It almost sounds like a rev limiter and then smoothes beyond that. My setup: Tb 88 kit/race head 90 main 38 pilot and needle clip in stock middle position. What should I check???

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try lowering the clip one notch on the jet needle, to raise (and richen) it.
ok I'll try lowering the clip to richen it. If that doesn't work then I'll check the valves clearance an timing again. So when I did the timing it doesn't stay on the t. I have to hold it in place. But when I bring it around for a second turn it stays on the mark by itself but then the cam is 180 off o.

·
Administrator
10,723 Posts
The piston is at BDC at that point. The cam sprocket has 28 teeth and the crank sprocket only has 14. One rotation of the crank is equal to 1/2-turn of the cam, that's why the "O" is 180° out

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The piston is at BDC at that point. The cam sprocket has 28 teeth and the crank sprocket only has 14. One rotation of the crank is equal to 1/2-turn of the cam, that's why the "O" is 180° out
I dropped the needle clip once like you mentioned to richen it and It fixed the sputter. Thank you so much man I was at work breaking my head all day thinking what I was gonna do to fix the problem. One more thing. Is a little valve noise normal. Cause I hear a little ticking. But not crazy. What valve clearance is best the racehead..I'm rocking .003 on both at the moment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.