PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some timing chain noise. I'm a timing chain adjustment noob. The manual leaves out some detail.

I slowly loosen the 12mm jam nut ( this spins the bolt with it) a half turn or until the noise goes away. ( I have done this about a quarter turn, the bike still has chain noise but started to sound funny)

I stopped here.

Anyway - after loosening the nut a half turn , then remove the tensioner cap bolt and tighten the tensioner until the noise disappears.

This is where the instruction ends

Do I then need to tighten the adjuster jam nut while holding the adjuster bolt still? or do I just tighten the jam nut and not worry about the bolt.

Maybe this is overkill, but I'm at work right now. why not ask.

Thanks for the help.

Side note, if the timing chain were to break / skip teeth do I crash a valve into the piston ?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
It shouldnt be that tough- unless your chain is really stretched out or the teeth on the gear are worn out. You just loosen the nut, tighten until the noise stops and at the same time, re-tighten the nut. It shouldnt take that much effort unless the above issue is the problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"You just loosen the nut, tighten until the noise stops and at the same time, re-tighten the nut"

tighten the part under the bolt cover until the noise stops ? or are you talking about the bolt that the nut is holding in place ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done , just fooled with it for a bit , sounds better. still some funny noises tho, I might just be getting picky

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Loosen the 12mm jam nut, loosen the slotted stud about 1/2 turn, take off 14mm plug on the bottom of the motor, turn the slotted adjuster under the motor in until the sound stops, replace the 14mm plug and washer, tighten the slotted adjuster on the side until it's snug, then tighten the 12mm jamnut. If the chain and sprockets are in spec, this will stop the noise.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
arlindsay1992 said:
Loosen the 12mm jam nut, loosen the slotted stud about 1/2 turn, take off 14mm plug on the bottom of the motor, turn the slotted adjuster under the motor in until the sound stops, replace the 14mm plug and washer, tighten the slotted adjuster on the side until it's snug, then tighten the 12mm jamnut. If the chain and sprockets are in spec, this will stop the noise.

Poetry...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts