PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here she is finally. A 1985 ATC70 frame, 110cc 3 speed with reverse. A CT70 triple clamp with 1974 Honda MR50 fork legs lengthened a couple extra inches and Z50 rear shock springs, and an SL70 rear tire on the front end. The rear wheel hubs have Z50 wheels grafted on them to accommodate some wide rear tires. Handling is great on grass, gravel or dirt, but pavement is a little sketchy with the layout of the bike. In order to turn tightly on pavement, you pretty much have to stand toward the handlebars, and lean the opposite of which way you want to turn. Going to put a wheelie bar on it before anyone rides the back seat, it will be a wheelie machine with the weight behind the rear axle.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Very nice Davmo! There is something to see, everywhere you look. Lots of creativity and lots of work in there. 3 wheels are always awkward to ride it seems. You learn how to deal with it after a while...reverse can only help. Nice job.

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not My cup of tea, but I can certainly appreciate the work that went into it, as with everything of yours.
Thanks! It is something of a monstrosity. Sometimes I question exactly why I built it, but days like today, riding minibikes in the Arlington, Texas fourth of July parade with a dozen Elvis impersonators, it makes more sense ( I didn't ride the trike in this parade, but that is coming.)

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! It is something of a monstrosity. Sometimes I question exactly why I built it, but days like today, riding minibikes in the Arlington, Texas fourth of July parade with a dozen Elvis impersonators, it makes more sense ( I didn't ride the trike in this parade, but that is coming.)
My buddy Scott, and the Elvis Mohawk.
Sky Tire Wheel Asphalt Tree
Sky Asphalt Tree Road surface Grass
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice Davmo! There is something to see, everywhere you look. Lots of creativity and lots of work in there. 3 wheels are always awkward to ride it seems. You learn how to deal with it after a while...reverse can only help. Nice job.
Thanks, buddy! The first ride on pavement was scary how sketchy the steering was. Since then, some tire shaping with an angle grinder and learning where to stand on a tight turn has made a huge difference. The rear tires are wide and street type, and thinking some narrower knobs won't grip the pavement as much. And yes, the reverse gear is a must, as far as I am concerned.

·
Super Moderator
3,359 Posts
Got to say it's a just wild Dave! My favorites are the rear fenders, the 59' Caddy taillights, running lights on fenders. A true rat rod! Nice work Dave.

Reactions: davmo

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got to say it's a just wild Dave! My favorites are the rear fenders, the 59' Caddy taillights, running lights on fenders. A true rat rod! Nice work Dave.
Thanks, Mike. It was one of those builds that just kept going. The lights on the fenders were something I wanted to use so much, the fenders were designed around them. The fenders originally were going to be pretty generic, with some beaded ridges running down them, but the arch of the fender and the arch of the tail light didn't match, so... Glad you like it!

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some updates to the build. A second near identical CL350 tank was found to replace the other epoxy coated one. While it functioned just fine, the inside was rusted really bad, and the metal was super thin. The epoxy coating will give way some day, and just decided investing in one with a near pristine inside was the answer. I took a first stab at fish scales on the sides, and red to match the still to be made seat cover.
Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Found a set of 7" ATC70 wheels, and got them stripped and painted. The wider and taller turf-saver tires on the rear grip too well on pavement, and smaller tires with knobbies were the answer. A set of hubs was also found to make switching back and forth with the wheel sets easier.

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Flooring

Some 1/4" aluminum plate was milled to make the rear footwell grip plates.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

The switch panel was reworked with a secondary switch to kill the running lights, a now functional ground effects switch, and a Rat-Fink key fob.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

With the new wheels, tires, and tank. Hard to make it out in this pic, but a new front wheel with a street tire was added. With that and the new rear wheels, it now steers as it should. It still handles fine on grass, but the knobby was a little better.
Tire Wheel Photograph Vehicle Motor vehicle

The LED ground effects are under the tank, rear fenders and seat. The seat is missing in this pic.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Green Tire Purple

·
Administrator
11,438 Posts
Davmo...love the new tank..(y)(y). it looks a lot nicer and the lighting is awesome looking. Where is the battery mounted? Where did you get the Rat Fink? :)
tmas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts