PlanetMinis Forums banner

Do you like the search engine offered by PM?

• YES!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't give me your Bologna formula of how to enter it into the system (*pictures* *of* *zb*) Its useless....I am more successful at finding what i want through google and it leads me back here....NOT something I like to do every time I need something.

Me: "How do I put in a 88 kit?"

other: "Use the search!"

BUG OFF !!! If it wasn't such a piece of SSSHI err CRAP no one would have to deal with stupid questions like that...

The other day PM crashes for like a day and half. My first response YESSS hopefully they are fixing the search..

BUT NO........

I come on here looking for a picture of angry monkey avatar guys pimped out zb and i get over 11,000 results......yay! JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.....not

I fear for every time that PM refreshes the post, I will never see my post again...User CP is cleared with it too....GAHHH

I managed to get the classifieds on the main page....they WILL improve the search engine.

sorry for the rant I hope every one else shares my anger....

G

·
I see you changed up the first info some... Again, do the right search and you'll find the right results. What you're looking for will be in the search below.

http://www.planetminis.com/search.php?searchid=446906

I'm not out to say the search engine is good by any means. I'm just saying figure out how to work what you got and it's really not all that bad. It just takes some of that stuff they told you about in high school... critical thinking.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cyclerider57 said:
http://www.planetminis.com/search.php?searchid=446888

You have to give it the right info to get the right info. You have to move the "Find posts from" "yesterday" and newer to "any date" or it only searches posts from the last two days.:rolleyes:

even with that search....where is the main thread with all of the pics of the zb's.... M.I.A.? I think it would be much more easier to type in *zb pictures*. DONE but no instead I have to speak to the stenographer "ok I think it was like 4 days ago but not 3 ahhh screw it go for the "any date"" 764987345098 RESULTS "WHAT?! are there even that many post?" ..... face it... for the typical American its not easy enough. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cyclerider57 said:
I see you changed up the first info some... Again, do the right search and you'll find the right results. What you're looking for will be in the search below.

http://www.planetminis.com/search.php?searchid=446906

I'm not out to say the search engine is good by any means. I'm just saying figure out how to work what you got and it's really not all that bad. It just takes some of that stuff they told you about in high school... critical thinking.

Post is unedited.......It just takes some of that stuff they told you about in grade school... slow down and sound it out.

I don't mean to be a dick with this stuff but when the results pour in, with a over whelming 100% "no", I feel I have a point, where both I and the mini community of PM can benifit from an updated and more precise search engine. Yet I get slammed by the Mod. cool

G

·
If you know the thread had pictures written in it and it is of zb's then chances are it is in the zb forum. Make those two things your criteria.

http://www.planetminis.com/search.php?searchid=446930&pp=25

only 59 threads to sift through.

The thing with the "any date" is that the default is set at "yesterday". That's why it's a hassle. Most searches have "any date" as the default. Because this one doesn't you just have to remember to switch it over.

G

·
I must have skipped over the bottom info in your first post then. Either way my point remains. And I'm not slamming you. I am just giving you advice on how to use the search engine we currently have. That doesn't mean you are wrong in saying we need a better one. I just grew up with... deal with what you've got and don't bitch and moan because someone else has something better. Oops... did that come out wrong. Yea I guess that was kind of bashing sounding huh. O well. You should take a minute to cool off before you go on your "rants". That way you could bring up the point in a way where someone like myself doesn't feel the need to "slam" you for sounding like a dick in the first place. Instead of what you said... how about bringing it up like this... "I think a lot of people on here are having problems with the search engine on this website. Lets make a poll to see where the community stands and hopefully the admin will take notice and decide to update the search functions." It makes things get done a lot quicker because the resistance is no longer there. If you would have said something like that I would have been inclined to get on here and say I agree that a lot of people don't like it and it's time for something new. Instead... I feel the need to throw poo at you until this thread dies. (that last part was my joke for the day)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You just went from \/ "to here" in my books of respect

Here..../\

I knew I was getting into a fight I couldn't win but

Great ideas don't get heard unless they are spoken. I guess I over spoke.

again props at handling this I concider it a K.O. on this end. rarely ever do I find someone on here to end it with out a fight. I guess I become a child when bordem and PM...conjoin.. can we just see if we can get a "google" search engine in PM as some other sites have that serve just for this site?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
cyclerider57 said:
I must have skipped over the bottom info in your first post then. Either way my point remains. And I'm not slamming you. I am just giving you advice on how to use the search engine we currently have. That doesn't mean you are wrong in saying we need a better one. I just grew up with... deal with what you've got and don't bitch and moan because someone else has something better. Oops... did that come out wrong. Yea I guess that was kind of bashing sounding huh. O well. You should take a minute to cool off before you go on your "rants". That way you could bring up the point in a way where someone like myself doesn't feel the need to "slam" you for sounding like a dick in the first place. Instead of what you said... how about bringing it up like this... "I think a lot of people on here are having problems with the search engine on this website. Lets make a poll to see where the community stands and hopefully the admin will take notice and decide to update the search functions." It makes things get done a lot quicker because the resistance is no longer there. If you would have said something like that I would have been inclined to get on here and say I agree that a lot of people don't like it and it's time for something new. Instead... I feel the need to throw poo at you until this thread dies. (that last part was my joke for the day)

Agreed, you need to think twice before you start posting this kinda stuff. It's unnecessary to publically address PM this way.

G

·
PS to other members. This doesn't need to turn into a flaming thread. Keep it on topic and it could benefit the site. Make sure you voice your opinion about the search function (appropriately) and make your vote either way. This thread doesn't have to die off.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
yea ok well i think that the search engine could be better i like the idea of being able to search smaller phrases, and since i usually dont find what im looking for through the pm search, i dont use it anymore.

·
Registered
387 Posts
since this didnt get looked at in the last post. The only problem is not being able to search for 3 letter words... complete bs, there is no reason for this and it makes the search engine completly useless.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I can work the search pretty good for what I need. If you know there was a specific thread that you saw something in and you posted in, instead of using the search, try looking in your subscription folder.

3 letter words are easily found by adding an asterisk on the end of them.(oil*)

If you need to search for something like a bore kit or kit install then you want to put in *bore* *kit* or *kit* *install*

I know you said don't give me that crap, but it works, and that is the way this particular search works.

Searching for something such as the work pic* can give you threads w/ pics in them but sometimes people say pictures instead of pics so add that in your search. Or heck, maybe they put pics or pictures. Lot of variables you need to take into consideration when looking for something. If you can't get the sites engine to work for you then just keep another browser window open w/ Google pulled up. Or you could try  Dogpile Web Search Home Page b/c it combines the best of all worlds if you ask me.

Also, w/ the subscription folder, you can make your own folders. If you subscribe to a thread w/ a lot of pics then make you a pic folder and put all the threads that you subscribe to w/ pics in that folder. Or maybe you want to make a folder such as xr70 pics or china builds or honda dynos. You can really make your search experience easier that way. It reminds me of why I keep my important info at home in one place, it's easier to find that way.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
guardian327 said:
since this didnt get looked at in the last post. The only problem is not being able to search for 3 letter words... complete bs, there is no reason for this and it makes the search engine completly useless.

Yeah, check my previous post.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.