PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a bbr swingarm on my bike and the chain is dragging on the case, when the suspension unloads. I was wandering How tight should my chain be? I heard that you want some slack in the chain so when you compress the suspension the chain wont break. Also, do they sell any aftermarket parts to take care of the dragging?

·
Registered
787 Posts
joker machine sells a chain roller for $20, but sounds like your chain is pretty loose. Your new chain will stretch anyways so don't be too concerned about over tighting it. There should be around minimum of 3/4" play when your sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
you do want it to be a little loose. But most likely your problem is that you need a chain roller. Do like 50man said and get one from Joker or just make one if you know how.

·
Registered
75 Posts
50man said:
joker machine sells a chain roller for $20, but sounds like your chain is pretty loose. Your new chain will stretch anyways so don't be too concerned about over tighting it. There should be around minimum of 3/4" play when your sitting on the bike.

DON'T BE TOO CONCERNED ABOUT OVER TIGHTENING IT?

I guess you've never seen a countershaft bearing pulled through a case from just that scenario. You don't run a chain tight to strech it out, (you're actually wearing it out, it's not really streching), you run it with the correct amount of slack to maximize life and minimize wear on sprockets, chain and countershaft bearings. Sheesh.

·
Registered
787 Posts
mudpumper said:
[quote name='50man']joker machine sells a chain roller for $20, but sounds like your chain is pretty loose. Your new chain will stretch anyways so don't be too concerned about over tighting it. There should be around minimum of 3/4" play when your sitting on the bike.

DON'T BE TOO CONCERNED ABOUT OVER TIGHTENING IT?

I guess you've never seen a countershaft bearing pulled through a case from just that scenario. You don't run a chain tight to strech it out, (you're actually wearing it out, it's not really streching), you run it with the correct amount of slack to maximize life and minimize wear on sprockets, chain and countershaft bearings. Sheesh.[/quote]

Yes, don't be to concerned, unless of course your dumb enough to tighen the chain that much! The way he described it, sounded like he had way too much slack to begin with. That's why I said not to worry about over tightening the chain.

BTW, no I have'nt seen counter shaft baring pulled through a case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.