PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Piston is installed correctly. That 143 piston I refer to as the bisexual 143cc piston due to its ability to work with so many different klx heads. Being it was designed to work with so many different heads the valve pockets look very odd. Your question is a very common question asked. Tb probably gets that question asked once a week if not more. I have done some write ups on some of the fb pages on the matter. The pockets are so grotesquely generous that it doesn't matter if IN is on intake side or exhaust side you still have plenty of depth and radial clearance with valves. I have do NOT recommend flipping it so the IN is on exhaust side. Wrist pin does have about an 0.030" offset. And flipping the IN to the exhaust side would put the offset on the wrong side.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Like cycletech mentioned the chain has slack in it. If not careful you can get timing on point but then when tensioner is in place timing be off. I have attached some pics for visual reference.

The first picture the yellow line would be the center line of cam to crank. If timing mark on cam gear is above the centerline cam timing is retarded and vice versa if timing mark on cam gear is below yellow line cam timing is advanced. The timing mark on cam gear often times doesn't perfectly line up with the witness mark on head. If this should be the case on your engine you want it to favor the side of retard and not advanced.

Hopefully to make it a little clearer ill use the following pictures. The 2nd picture timing is in time using the scale for center line reference. The 3rd picture I put timing 1 tooth retarded. And 4th picture timing is 1 tooth advanced. After getting it in time as cycletech mentioned stick a finger in the tensioner hole and apply pressure on the tensioner. Get eye level with cam and look st the cam gear timing mark in reference to the mark on the head. If cam gear timing line perfectly aligns with head mark or slightly above (in reference to pictures) you're good. But if you are see the cam gear timing line a good bit away like pictures 3 and 4 you are 1 tooth out of time.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts