PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished insalling the TB 88 big bore with carb and not the head. When i started it up it was making a real loud noise that was almost louder than the motor. I think it might be the valves or the timing. Just wanted to know what you guys think.

· Registered
3,869 Posts
How did it run though, did it do anything other than making a noise. You could have your timing off a tooth or 2 and the valves could be hitting the piston. Or it could simply be another case of the mysterioius TB ticking noise that just about everybody seems to get.

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It ran fine but yah its making a real loud clicking noise.

· Registered
8,911 Posts
seems like a lot of people with TB kits are having clicking noises .........wonder if they have a bad batch comming through???

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jestor220, Does your kit with the head do the same thing or doesnt it

· Registered
3,869 Posts
Yea, mine has a kind of ticking noise, and so does my friends xr70 with a TB 88. I think it is becaues of the grind of the cam lets the valves shut closed really fast. I mean ive been running my motor for like 6 mothns and have probably more hours on it than anyone and it still runs perfect. Sounds like you do just have the classic ticking noise. As long as it runs fine dont worry about it really, its just annoying.

· Registered
572 Posts
if its really loud then u arent on the right tooth for the timing. thats what was wrong with mine at first. then when i got it timed it just makes a little ticking noise. like jetster said hes been runnig that thing forever and theres been no problems.

· Registered
3,869 Posts
True Foxxxr70, but your bike also ran like dog shit when the timing was off to. He said his is running fine just makes the noise.

· Registered
43 Posts
If your engine is making a loud ticking / clicking noise...

then chances are that the cam is not installed right. After talking to Mike from Trailbikes as well as Jeff from Mini Gunz about this noise, installing the cam wrong tends to be the major reason why these engines make that noise. Even if the cam is installed wrong, the engine will still run, however it will not run nearly as strong as it should. In order to fix the problem, I would suggest that you remove the cam and repeat the process over again. While the cam is out, make sure that the engine is at top dead center before installing the cam again. While installing the cam, make sure that the lobes on the cam are facing downwards. Take your time and double check your work. I have a step by step guide on my website that may help. For what it's worth, I have installed a couple of these kits (the standard 88kit and the race head kit) and none of them make that ticking noise at all. Both of these kits are as quiet as a Takegawa or Kitaco kit.

· Registered
10,051 Posts
My Trail Bikes parts make no ticking noises, but I do have one very big problem.

When I go WOT from a dead shop, I have a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground, and the huge smile from my face...

· Registered
3,869 Posts
Trust me, I know mines installed correctly. I have had the motor apart over 3 differnt times, first when I installed the original 88 with no head, started making a ticking noise. Thought it was timing, chain, changed that out, put it back together again, and noise still there. Upgrade to Race Head, again, I know I put it together corretly, I am no rookie with motors, been working on them since I was 6, torn plenty apart and back together, its together correctly and the noise is still there. Even Foxxxr70's motor makes a ticking noise, and the cam is in correctly. And I know my bike certainly isnt down on power, like Z88R said, I have a nice little problem of trying to keep the front wheel on the ground, even going from 2nd to 3rd it comes off the ground on pure power.

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have to have the head on the bike to do the cam? It not, then why does the piston have to be at top dead center.

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just raced my dad. He was on a stock xr50 and i was riding with the big bore. He weighs 200lbs and I way about 100lbs and he pulled me up a hill. Will riding it with the loud tapping noise bend the valves if its hitting the piston. I pulled everything apart and re installed it and its doing the same thing.

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It feels like it has pretty much compresion. The valves are set a .002 and the timing is only a little bit off.

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I checked my brothers stock 50 and his is a little bit above the mark like mine

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.