PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys

I searched to see if anyone have asked this before, but i could not find anything

I have a crf50 right now and was thinking about installing a TB 88 bore kit with the race head. But after talking to a few stores they sugested just going with a new piranha engine. the price is about the same for a new engine as the big bore kit.

My only worry is the engine is Chinese, are these engines any good or would the TB big bore kit be better.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
885 Posts
I was discussing the same thing with Terry from firepower minis. I'm gonna get the piranha and ride. Later down the road I'm gonna built my crf engine.

·
Registered
651 Posts
you will hear alot say go for the honda motor for reliability, but there are china motors that are just as reliable, of course once you start modding and decreasing the maintanance will bring down that longevity.

i know my old 2005 jialing motor is still around today, its all stock and has been in a few bikes and still runs good with no issues. just keep oil changed, and keep on on valve checks and your good.

i have a piranha 86cc that in my opinion puts out more tq and feels alot faster than my TB race head motor. i am personally not a fan of the 140 after talking to a few well known minibike guru's but to each his own.

get a piranha 125 and add a 146 top end kit and youll be much happier than the 140. look for a all up patern china motor and keep up on maintanance and theres no reason it wont last just as long as the honda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool

Thanks for all the fast replys

So now i just need to find someone that will not kill me in shipping to Alaska

·
Banned
1 Posts
deputyperk said:
you will hear alot say go for the honda motor for reliability, but there are china motors that are just as reliable, of course once you start modding and decreasing the maintanance will bring down that longevity.

i know my old 2005 jialing motor is still around today, its all stock and has been in a few bikes and still runs good with no issues. just keep oil changed, and keep on on valve checks and your good.

i have a piranha 86cc that in my opinion puts out more tq and feels alot faster than my TB race head motor. i am personally not a fan of the 140 after talking to a few well known minibike guru's but to each his own.

get a piranha 125 and add a 146 top end kit and youll be much happier than the 140. look for a all up patern china motor and keep up on maintanance and theres no reason it wont last just as long as the honda.

Only problem with that, Perky, is the 125 has a much smaller valved head on the same bottom end. Even 146'd, it won't hang with a stock BV 140, at least from personal experience. The 140 jug will bore to accept the 146 piston,saving money overall. Just my opinion, though.

I charge actual shipping, and have USPS, FedEx, and UPS commercial accounts to compare best rate.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
personally I like honda motors. I dont like the chinese motors in a honda frame. I dont get either why honda motors modded put out more hp/torque than the equivilant in a chinese motor. ALTHOUGH I do like the 155HO motor those are pretty sweet. the price difference is so much too

·
Registered
816 Posts
dude i have a 140 and i love it and u would be crazy to get a 88 kit or even take all the money too build a 108 or 124.I think it cost way too much to build them honda motors lol dont get me wrong i love honda motors but the piranah 140 is the way to go let me tell u cause i own one and terry talked me into it !) lol no really tho i cant eat klx 143rh bikes up all day long on my 140 and its perfect in a 50 for sure.The power is amazing if u can handle the bike and its so damn snappy.I am gonna send my cylinder in to terry soon to get it bored to the 146 or im gonna call terry and we gonna discuss some other options but i believe ill probably do the 146 and maybe some port and polish work or cam cause i like the way it is now but want to beef it up a tad more(not that it needs it)thats just how i am.I dont think i would go over the 146 and some work because too much power and its no good unless u can getit too hook.But definately holla at terry at fpm and he will hook u up and can do whatever option u can think of or imagine or should i say any option u never even heard of he's got it for ya good luck bro.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Even if you build the Honda you still have to upgrade the clutch,and its only a 3 speed,and you need a bigger carb ect. Get my point,money pit. The 140 runs its ASS off.It comes with everything! I think its a WAY better value. The Pirahana Is very fast and shifts great. And can start in any gear.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i think every pitbike owner is plagued with which way to go for a motor SO lets chart some pros and cons:)

honda motor

pros

reliable

smaller package

lighter

being able to say its "genuine honda"

smooth power

easy to start and keep running

cons

expensive as hell to build

slow unless tons of money is spent

getting smoked by a stock "china motor"

and lets not forget motors are wearing devices doesnt matter what brand eventually it'll blow or need replaced/rebuilt.

now add more to the lists!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
hp and torque is higher out of a smaller package...

the crank shaft clutch cover on china motors is damn ugly lol

the china motors:

Ya its cheaper

ya it comes complete for 350-550

Some use knockoff carbs though

You need a lot more cc's to beat a honda built motor...

·
Registered
185 Posts
the piranha 125 and 140 comes with a real mikuni 22 not a clone ! just yesturday i raced the 125 against a honda 117 it kept right up with my piranha 125 until i hit 4th and then left him in the dust i have maybee 400 into my engine he had 1500 into his honda and still lacked that 4TH gear im still all smiles

on a nice tight track it would have been a toss up

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
trtr013 said:
hp and torque is higher out of a smaller package...

the crank shaft clutch cover on china motors is damn ugly lol

the china motors:

Ya its cheaper

ya it comes complete for 350-550

Some use knockoff carbs though

You need a lot more cc's to beat a honda built motor...
Id like to know what you base this "theory" on. What is done to this killer honda motor you talk about and how much was spent.Have you actually seen or driven any af the NEWER china 140-160 motors? I didnt think so until i got one. Its hard to go wrong when you can buy a big valve motor for the same price of a head to fit the honda. Can you get over 15 HP with youre Honda? Dose youre Honda have all Honda parts in it?

·
Banned
1 Posts
Easy, Geezer, don't want your pacemaker to have to work to hard:p

A well put together TB117, with a manual clutch and AHP 4-speed, will run ahead of an out-of the box 140 and be revvier, but cost about 3 times as much. Been there, do that for a living;) Add a cam or at least valve springs to the 140, and it comes out pretty close in power. Tough to beat the 140, bang-for-the-buck, ugly clutch cover and all.

Cost be damned, a 124+R with most of the tricks, can make 19HP at the tire, with no Honda parts but the bare cases and exhaust rocker cap.:cool: The 140, regardless of the coins dropped in the slot, will come apart at that specific output level. By itself, I mean. lol

I de-bored a new 140 to 125 high-squeeze CC's (for the better head, $30 more), and got [email protected] with good springs on the stock cam, in an ATV chassis. Added more port work and longer cam, and it helped revs a bunch, but didn't get it dyno'd.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I said the price of the china motors is much less. I never argued that. Heck Id like the 155HO motor. But I guess Im just the kind of person that doesnt get why you buy a honda and have crf plastics and put china stuff in it...Just like people building hot rod Fords but using Chevy vette FI motors. Its also on the rider. You can have all the power and be a horrible rider and lose to a great rider with a bore kit only. Thats all Im saying. Thanks Terry for kinda helping me with what I was saying...I just didnt have specific hp numbers. I did hear of a DOHC motor pushing 22 or 23 I think it was...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts