PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, okay i need some help. I baught a TB 165 bore kit with v2 head, carb, the whole works for my 05 klx 110. I installed everything. I started the motor and it sounded great i rode it for about 2 hours and broke the motor in. Then i hear a "POP" and bike dies. Long story short when i pulled the side cover off the head, the cam sprocket and chain were just laying there and it stripped out the threads in the cam sprocket bolts. The cam threads are fine though. I pulled the head and cylinder off also and everything looked to be okay, and the valves were not touched. Anyway i drained the oil and cleaned out the few metal shavings that were there and changed the oil filter. I got knew bolts and used lock tight and reinstalled them. But now the bike does not run right at all. It starts perfect, but it backfires some and dies out at half throttle and spits and sputters. I have no clue whats wrong. It ran perfect before those bolts stripped. Any ideas? could the cam chain have stretched? I looked at it, and it seemed fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought maybe that the timing was off. but it doesn't line up perfect the the notch on the head and the T on the flywheel. I had it a little below the notch on the head. It ran bad. Then I moved it up a tooth, and it was a small amount above the notch on the head and it still ran about the same. And the valves are untouched. no marks or anything, I don't think a valve could be bent. Im lost :/

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Take your spark plug out, look in there with a flashlight and rotate the piston to the very top. The mark on your cam sprocket should be aligned with the mark on the head.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
You should also check the flywheel to make sure you didn't sheer the key or half moon key off. When the cam bolts came out you might of moved the flywheel on the crank. Also make sure you have the cam in right or the sprocket on right.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Try flipping the cam to overlap TDC, where both valves are open, with the chain off. If the sprocket mark isn't VERY close to the mark on the head, you may have one of the V2 cams that slipped timing. And, as bad stated, confirm the flywheel isn't off-time.

Also, flip cam back to TDC compression, and do a compression test, if you have/can borrow a gauge, to confirm valves aren't bent. Check lash, too.

Stripped bolts are likely from over-tightening...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
firepower354 said:
Try flipping the cam to overlap TDC, where both valves are open, with the chain off. If the sprocket mark isn't VERY close to the mark on the head, you may have one of the V2 cams that slipped timing. And, as bad stated, confirm the flywheel isn't off-time.

Also, flip cam back to TDC compression, and do a compression test, if you have/can borrow a gauge, to confirm valves aren't bent. Check lash, too.

Stripped bolts are likely from over-tightening...

What is "check lash"?

I dont really understand how the cam can slip timeing also

·
Banned
1 Posts
ModdedHonda said:
1What is "check lash"?

2I dont really understand how the cam can slip timeing also

1-Adjusting the valves, or at least seeing if they need it.

2-The flange the bolts thread in to, on the cam, is pressed on, and some have slipped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts