PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a tb108cc stroker crank on my crf50.

It has a tb race head, piston, and cylinder along with hv oil pump.

My problem is when I start the bike up it knocks very loud it kind of sounded like the piston was making contact with something so I took the head off and piston and valves show no signs of contact at all.

Anyone have any ideas it seems to be getting worse and I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Adjust your valves. Mine always seem to come loose over time and they will start knocking when there loose.

Intake valve set it at .003

exhaust valve set at .004

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adjusted them both more times than I can remember. I even kicked it over without the rockers with the valves sitting closed all the time and it still did it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried a second base gasket still knocks.

Its kind of a slow knock and I can only hear it at idle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
XRshfifty said:
forget a bearing when installing the stroker crank?

I don't have any extra parts laying around that I am aware of.

Branyers said:
What clutch are you running? Are you sure the noise is coming from your top end?

100% positive its coming from the cylinder/head of the engine.

The most confusing part is the knock literally goes away as rpm's increase. It is really loud at idle but if I turn the idle screw to raise the idle it nearly goes away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is the flywheel tight? Do you hear it if you turn the crank by hand? I just built a tb108 with no problems, but I have left the flywheel nut loose before and makes a noise as you describe. HTH

Derek

·
Registered
54 Posts
its a head gasket just had mine do it took it apart and head gasket was torn put a new one on and ran like a champ!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Nick-G said:
I recently installed a tb108cc stroker crank on my crf50.

It has a tb race head, piston, and cylinder along with hv oil pump.

My problem is when I start the bike up it knocks very loud it kind of sounded like the piston was making contact with something so I took the head off and piston and valves show no signs of contact at all.

Anyone have any ideas it seems to be getting worse and I can't figure it out.

Your crank could be hitting the oil pump drive shaft. Or you could have a bad rod bearing right from the factory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts