PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using the the Takegawa "street" rearsets?

They seem to be pretty low and I wonder how people like them. I am looking at the takky catalog and cant quite figure out what they mean by "brake rod attached to swing arm".

Anybody know what this means? and what is that thing under the swing arm in the picture?

·
Registered
436 Posts
That thing under the swingarm is the brake rod.

The brake rod that is attach to the swingarm, will allow you to adjust your rear caliper to a certain position on the rear disk brake. You can adjust the positon of the rear caliper by adjusting the brake rod to the shorter or longer position.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KK32 said:
That thing under the swingarm is the brake rod.

The brake rod that is attach to the swingarm, will allow you to adjust your rear caliper to a certain position on the rear disk brake. You can adjust the positon of the rear caliper by adjusting the brake rod to the shorter or longer position.

But I thought this was supposed to be used for drum brakes?

·
Registered
436 Posts
ShapeShifter said:
But I thought this was supposed to be used for drum brakes?

On my Over swingarm, I installed a brake rod so that I can adjust the positon of the rear caliper. I remember seeing it on my Ape 50 that came with drum brake. I never adjust it on my Ape 50 but I was told from my friend, that it was use to adjust the positon of the drum brake on the Ape 50. Hope this help

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shw911 said:
Kind of like a torque arm. It's not part of the rearsets. It's part of the rear caliper mount.

Wow Sam, is that your bike?

I see but why would a pair of rearsets made for a drum brake have anything to do with a caliper stay?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
ShapeShifter said:

I see but why would a pair of rearsets made for a drum brake have anything to do with a caliper stay?

They are probably universal and fit both drum and a floating rear disk.

I'm not a fan of the Takegawa and Kitaco Rearsets. In fact, I'm not a fan of rearsets in General. They aren't that comfortable and make shifting sloppy. the only reason why I would run them if if I went with a rear disc setup and wanted a clean install.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
ShapeShifter said:

Nope, not my bike, but an example. LOL.

Thanks Matt for finding a better pic.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ShapeShifter said:
Is anyone using the the Takegawa "street" rearsets?

They seem to be pretty low and I wonder how people like them. I am looking at the takky catalog and cant quite figure out what they mean by "brake rod attached to swing arm".

Anybody know what this means? and what is that thing under the swing arm in the picture?

This is the same as the rearset on my 40th anniversary Z50

You will need to invert the lever on the Rear Brake drum

I find them comfortable and no issues with ground clearance - the brake rod to actuate the rear brake goes under the swingarm not above as in a standard setup.

You can then fit a fully floating Rear Brake assembly that then uses an adjustable torque rod to transfer the Torque reaction from the rear Brake ( either disc or drum ) directly to the frame instead of into the swing arm

Below the Silver bike has the other type Takegawa Rearset + floating Hub design

The above pics are of the Other style rear sets that Takegawa make - you just need to be carefull with clearance for your exhaust system.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put a set on the Orangutan and I have to say I am pleased with the quality. They are extremely rugged and not bad looking either. The rubber pegs should dampen the vibes too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts