PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I've seen dyno's with TJR 146's pulling 20's. And, I TRUST TJR to deliver accurate findings as they are really just a small mom and pop shop.

I'll never go with a Scut for longevity on the street. WOuld be ok for track posts though...

I also think Takegawa was foolish in the development of their 138cc block. They already have the twin spark and super heads for the china bolt pattern...they should have used the china mid block stud spacing so you can reliably run a 59mm piston without a scut. Then you'd only need a scut for the 60 and 61mm bores.

Next, they need to do something else with their cranks...in these new cases, they can easily swing a 62mm crank without any problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they should do some crank for us guys with the nice motors so we have abit more choice as at the moment there isnt many except tjr

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
HSM does the 59mm bore for nice (TJR do a 58mm max)

Hot Shot Monkeys(.de) is german as well and uses TJR cranks for the strokers.

If needed, HSM also puts 4-valve heads on nice (besides the obligatory +R heads of course)

btw. Last time I saw TJR do stuff like a 59mm bore for the new daytona, 5-speed gearbox and a nice kickshaft.

(My daytona kickshaft is also a bit bent outside the casing, with rearsets you need a wide kicker :( )

·
Banned
1 Posts
I was looking at the outrigger kicker setup. Interesting, but still not sure.

If they're making a sturdier version of the Nice cases, it would have been easy to spread the stud pattern to Chinese mid-block, like Jared said. Maybe it's for Euro racing classes with a 150cc limit, and they wanted to max out the B/S ratio within the existing parts line?

Next time some one has a Nice apart, I'd like to try one of my Daytona 62.7 cranks in it. 143.6cc even with a 54mm bore. The Honda pattern heads don't look to be made with valve locations that would be shrouded by the 54mm bore.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The Crankcase comparisons on the tak site look interesting

with my old 124+R motor and Gb6 case it managed to fracture above the crank bearing journal at the see-through area ,where as the Tak Hd /Nice cases are solid :)

The new flywheel cover is Really Nice , if not soon available polished,, i'll be buying one to polish myself :D

Gav,

I wouldn't be bothered, you have more torque and reliability on your side ;)

HSM also sell a 64.5 mm crank ,TJR 62mm reworked ,just not listed on their site

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adam z50+R said:
The Crankcase comparisons on the tak site look interesting

with my old 124+R motor and Gb6 case it managed to fracture above the crank bearing journal at the see-through area ,where as the Tak Hd /Nice cases are solid :)

The new flywheel cover is Really Nice , if not soon available polished,, i'll be buying one to polish myself :D

Gav,

I wouldn't be bothered, you have more torque and reliability on your side ;)

HSM also sell a 64.5 mm crank ,TJR 62mm reworked ,just not listed on their site

yeah thinking of getting the tjr 66mm crank

·
Registered
887 Posts
For all the newbs out here could you please explain in a little more detail the various stroke options, and at least for me, what the heck SCUT means?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Dan-o 50z said:
For all the newbs out here could you please explain in a little more detail the various stroke options, and at least for me, what the heck SCUT means?
SCUT = Skirt CUT

Wit this option the cilinder bore and the remainder of the piston does not sink into the crankcase. So there is no boring/spindling the crackcases involved.

Nice stroker options:

55,5mm, standard stroke.

58mm, TJR

62mm, TJR

64.5mm (TJR crank reworked by HSM (offset pin?))

66mm TJR, for this cranckshaft the cases have to be spindled to get room for the crank.

54mm TJR yes smaller (54x54 125cc speedway engine)

48,6mm TJR still smaller (58x48,6 129cc speeway engine)

Nice bore options:

till 58mm (TJR)

till 59mm (HSM)

The thai also work the nice up to 196 with relocating studs etc.

·
Banned
1 Posts
A set of Daytona cases is about $120, and the Nice innards should swap in. China mid-block stud pattern would allow better gasket sealing, and for a lot cheaper than welding and re-drilling a set of Nice cases, at least in the States. Too sacrilegious?

·
Registered
443 Posts
firepower354 said:
A set of Daytona cases is about $120, and the Nice innards should swap in. China mid-block stud pattern would allow better gasket sealing, and for a lot cheaper than welding and re-drilling a set of Nice cases, at least in the States. Too sacrilegious?

its been done the other way round although my german is not good !

·
Banned
1 Posts
Since they make the +R in mid-block pattern, it should be a sweet setup. Looks like Daytona crank. I like the manifold, for the nice bend, and funny letters:)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
firepower354 said:
Since they make the +R in mid-block pattern, it should be a sweet setup. Looks like Daytona crank. I like the manifold, for the nice bend, and funny letters:)
That manifold is part of the yoshimura carb kit.

(And is the same text as on the yoshimura exhausts and website, so my guess is that it says yoshimura ;) )

edit: Strange place for the oilcooler btw. picture from monkey garage?

edit2: monkey garage (de) also puts the yoshimura heads on nice engines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for referring to this old thread, but by accident i found the picture of my "Bastard-engine" here in this forum (i was looking for something else in the www).

If you want, here are some Details from the engine (and maybe from the bike as well): It is a Honda Nice Thailand crankcase, bored up to fit the 58mm piston. I used the Daytona 58.7 crankshaft in combination with the Daytona clutch. The gearbox is a 4-gear-Takegawa, because i had i laying around and it has a far better grading than the Honda gearbox. Oilpump is also Daytona, the shifter shaft and kickstart shaft is Honda Nice Thailand. The head is my old Takegawa Superhead +R with a S30 camshaft. Nowadays i would prefer the Yoshimura head... On the picture you still see the Yoshimura 26 MJN carb, (and i am still convinced that it is one of the best carbs available) but now i use the PE28 from Keihin, because you get a little bit more power at higher revs (the 26 carb is just too small). I combined it with the Yoshimura Tri-Oval Titan/Carbon Exhaust, wich is incredible (powerfull but loud, so i had to put noise killers in it) We measured the power of the engine on the dyno and it has 21,7hp. Runs good, but has more vibrations than the Honda Nice stock crank and much more than the TJR cranks. So: if you ask me, if i can recommend this combination, i can say yes, because it is affordable and you use the better crankcase compared to Daytona 150cc crankcase. All other parts (besides the Takegawa Gearbox) are "cheap" compared to other brands, and from my point of view you can also use the last edition of the Daytona gearbox: shift very smooth and feels good.

The bike itself is Z50R US-Version from 1979, made street legal here in germany. Modifications: Daytona 30mm frontfork with Nissin brakes, Kitaco wheels 3.5 x 8, Over swingarm (+16cm or 6.5in), longer shocks and so on.

·
Registered
623 Posts
this new Takegawa is a japanese with a chinese tie...

Here in Italy we have had the opportunity to test the number 001 unit of this engine (see the pics, serial number...).

It has for sure some Dirtmax components in it such as the complete ignition (even if the cdi is from takegawa) along with other parts.

The engine in Italy is 3800 Euro (!!!!), can't imagine the price in USA...do your math...spent so much money to still have chinese parts in it...dunno.

I am curious to wait for the new daytona ANIMA 190cc 4valve, at least, no secrets in it...

·
Registered
443 Posts
BigBear said:
Sorry for referring to this old thread, but by accident i found the picture of my "Bastard-engine" here in this forum (i was looking for something else in the www).

If you want, here are some Details from the engine (and maybe from the bike as well): It is a Honda Nice Thailand crankcase, bored up to fit the 58mm piston. I used the Daytona 58.7 crankshaft in combination with the Daytona clutch. The gearbox is a 4-gear-Takegawa, because i had i laying around and it has a far better grading than the Honda gearbox. Oilpump is also Daytona, the shifter shaft and kickstart shaft is Honda Nice Thailand. The head is my old Takegawa Superhead +R with a S30 camshaft. Nowadays i would prefer the Yoshimura head... On the picture you still see the Yoshimura 26 MJN carb, (and i am still convinced that it is one of the best carbs available) but now i use the PE28 from Keihin, because you get a little bit more power at higher revs (the 26 carb is just too small). I combined it with the Yoshimura Tri-Oval Titan/Carbon Exhaust, wich is incredible (powerfull but loud, so i had to put noise killers in it) We measured the power of the engine on the dyno and it has 21,7hp. Runs good, but has more vibrations than the Honda Nice stock crank and much more than the TJR cranks. So: if you ask me, if i can recommend this combination, i can say yes, because it is affordable and you use the better crankcase compared to Daytona 150cc crankcase. All other parts (besides the Takegawa Gearbox) are "cheap" compared to other brands, and from my point of view you can also use the last edition of the Daytona gearbox: shift very smooth and feels good.

The bike itself is Z50R US-Version from 1979, made street legal here in germany. Modifications: Daytona 30mm frontfork with Nissin brakes, Kitaco wheels 3.5 x 8, Over swingarm (+16cm or 6.5in), longer shocks and so on.

hi big bear any pics of your bike? is this"bastard engine" still going strong? you must be a friend of markus"mfro"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts