PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody had any experience with the 88 stage-r kit from takagawa?two bros. claim 8.5 hp.should be plenty for me. would an xr70 head work just as good?how many minutes will my stock clutch work with this power?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If I was you I would check out www.hondatrailbikes.com, there kit with the race head is actually faster than the Take R-stage,(higher compresion piston) and much more affordable. Also your stock clutch should last a while, depends on how hard you change gears and how big you are.

·
Registered
121 Posts
R-stage kits work pretty good for a nice balance of bottomend and topend, but I personally prefer a ported 70 head set up for a harder bottom to midrange hit. When comparing possible set up's, there's more to it than peak horsepower numbers. How it performs across the bandwidth from idle to top is more important than what it does at 10,000+ RPM, especially for motocross or play riding. Just a regular 88 kit w/20mm Keihin and a ported 50 head makes a great MX/play bike and has awesome midrange torque. It may lose in a flat-out drag race against a larger valve head, but that doesn't mean you'll lose going around a track. 70 head bikes have a little more on top than a 50, but still have a great bottomend punch that makes them pretty hard to beat on a track too. We've got both big valve heads and ported Honda heads on a few of the bikes here, one with a Kitaco Ultra-Head, and the others with ported 50 and 70 heads, and have to honest in saying the ported bikes are more fun to ride than the Ultra-Head. Unless the Ultra is wound out to 8-10k RPM, it feels a little sluggish or doggy compared to the ported bikes. That's why we pretty much just use ported heads now on everything and put the money saved toward other stuff like an inner-rotor ignition, machined flywheel, or something else that'll give it even more hit and overall performance. Places like PRC make some of the fastest bikes around, but they're based on the 70 head platform with medium size valves to get a nice, wide powerband. In my opinion, that's the best way to make a motocross bike. Having tons of power on top, but not much on bottom, isn't too much fun to me.

For the clutch, throw a set of good springs and kevlar discs in it, and it'll last forever. They're not expensive and one of those things you won't have to worry about or mess with again for a long, long time. Keeping good oil in it all the time also insures a long clutch life. All we use is Motul 5100 in everything and have yet to have a clutch failure. There may be other oils that work just as good, but this stuff works great and we'll stick with it unless a reason pops up to point us in another direction.

A couple of other things you need to keep in mind for building a hi-po engine (over 5-6 HP) are like a high volume oil pump and an oil cooler. They'll keep it running cooler and longer than if you don't use them.

~Ron

·
Registered
134 Posts
i have a kitaco 88 kit with the 20mm carb and the TB race head. And let me say IT KICKS ASS!!! the bike is fast top and bottom. and for the price and their shipping is fast i had is in 2 days. get the oil pump if you get the head. i also have the classic honda clutch.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The TB heads make lots of power too and a very good value. I like a little more bottomend though and I've yet find a head that's got the wide powerband one of Jim's ported stockers has. For a 117 or something, I'd use a Kitaco Ultra SE for sure since the larger displacement can support larger valves better, but I'd personally stick with a 50 or 70 head (or find an older E22 head like I'm using on my SiK bike) for 75's, 82's, and 88's. I also think any of the large valve heads need more carb than the 20mm they're including in their packages. Even on an 88 with a big valve head, I'd use a Keihin 22mm for sure, or a flat-slide 24mm Mikuni for any larger displacement set up. Those 18mm and 20mm carbs are already a little finicky and going to such a large valve heads makes tuning not a lot of fun most of the time.

~Ron

Xtreme Racing 50s

·
Registered
22 Posts
The takegawa r stage heads work very well we tried the kitaco ultra heads on our bikes and the r stage is a lot better for mx more bottom end but with any of these heads you should run the high output oil pumps to try and keep things a little cooler

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.