PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on a ct70 project for a few years now and its finally coming together and getting close to being finished! But I am not liking the way it looks...It sits too high! I am running a kitaco front end on it so I had to make a steering stem in order for it to work, But the problem I ran into is there would only be a little over an inch of travel before the fork seals hit the lower clamp. So I bought a set of 60mm fork extenders to raise it up a little and I was just going to go with a little longer rear shock to level it out. Well it just isn't looking right with the Dax fenders. I dropped the front end to where it would be without the extenders and it looks awesome! so what I need to do is stiffen up the front end so I don't have to worry about the fork seals hitting the lower clamp and compromising the seals/leaking. etc. what is the best way to do that on this type of front end? I don't need a bunch of travel as this is going to be a street ridden only bike. I don't care if there is hardly any suspension at all! I just don't want to bottom out! any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
well unless you make an offset lower tripple (I have seen some on China bikes with the 33mm forks) just use heavy springs or preload the ones you have....it would be super stiff not to get it to move no more than an inch....yeah, that is the dust seal you will be smacking....maybe make a funky fender mount that mounts the fender to the lower legs vice the underside of the lower tripple clamp and extend it back out...IDK

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the fender will mount to the lower legs...that isnt my concern right now though. I have a set of Pre-load adjusters for NSR forks but I dont know how much those will do for me though. What oil and how much should I run in them?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to have to do some modifications to the fender to make that work. its going to sit right down over the tire so there will be plenty of clearance there. I really appreciate your help Doops!

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
well, I think if you ran 15wt or 20wt it would be fine...IDK about how much oil you would use with those particular forks ...probably 3-4oz. you could cut some round alloy stock (the same size as your springs) about 1-3 inches long (trial and error there) and use them as preload slugs...the only thing you would need to worry about is if you preload too much you could coil bind.....probably not though with the small amount of travel you will be having.....sorry, I wish I was doing something exactly like yours so we could be frustrated together and maybe work something out...lol

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol yeah. Everything was going great a nd then I was just standing there staring at it like...OMFG I have put in so much work and its UGLY! lol. I guess I will install these pre-load adjusters and see what they do. I can barely get the stock caps back on! I dont know how I am going to put anything in there and compress it and start the threads! What is the trick to that?

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Motarded said:
lol yeah. Everything was going great a nd then I was just standing there staring at it like...OMFG I have put in so much work and its UGLY! lol. I guess I will install these pre-load adjusters and see what they do. I can barely get the stock caps back on! I dont know how I am going to put anything in there and compress it and start the threads! What is the trick to that?

a buddy I guess IDK actually because if you preload, they are going to be even harder

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah exactly. so I guess I will start with the adjusters. that way I can install them soft and then crank them down.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
30mm tubes ? Take an old KLX110 fork tube and cut it into spacers, or some pipe of the same dia. and place the spacers inside the forks under the sliders to act as a stop. You should still preload the springs a bit. I dont think with an inch of travel damping is gonna be much of a factor....Oh yeah...avoid bumps in the road. :)

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can you explain this a little more. I am not familliar with this stuff at all! lol. dont the speedforks only have like half an inch of travel? I remember those being very stiff. I like them like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts