PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well in a few months i want to do a street legal 50 build if pa even allows this.

My plans:

Baja designs kit

bbr 88 bbk with carb and cam

irk? or just a rev box?

gearing? what would you run?

street tires

springs

tall seat

bar kit

exhaust? what would be the best pipe? mainly need top end.

anything else?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
IRK is not going to have a stator to power the lights.

The Baja Designs kit includes a Lighting coil, if you want quicker revs lighten your flywheel. Make sure you get the dual sport kit though, they sell another kit that won't have a battery, horn, or turn signals. Rev boxes don't do a whole lot but for whatever reason I bought one for each of my bikes.

I would definitely go with a four speed and probably go with a trail bikes 108cc Stroker kit if you want to ride it like a motorcycle. They have a kit that has everything from Crank to Head with Cam and Carb. You need a better clutch even to support an 88cc kit. Either HD clutch springs or complete HD clutch.

If you can afford it go with 2.15" rims and HD spokes with 100/90-10 it will ride way better than the narrow street tires you would be putting on the stock rims. If you go with a longer swing arm you can run 12x2.15" rims and really make it handle like a larger bike.

For springs I like two bros front springs and an aftermarket swing arm & shock in the rear.

Tall seat and Big Bar Kit are a must. Any cheapo tall seat will be as good as another. I would check out 50 Stunt for a big bar kit, but BBR makes a pretty good big bar kit as well.

Exhaust is up to you. I personally think yoshi makes the best pipes for XR / CRF bikes, but if you don't want too loud of a pipe you could get a BBR pipe and use the XR/CRF Exhaust cap. You can also gut the stock CRF cap which really doesn't give much power but it give the bike a nice sound.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Deffinetly need at leasta 108 if you have hills around were you are gonna be riding. I have a tak 106 and a budy of mine has an 88 and I leave him in the dust on hills. I run 15/30 and have all around power.

·
Registered
69 Posts
DONT BUY ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

check your dmv rules and regs. I was gonna buy a ****load of things just like you then I read the rules and all that was needed was a 50cc motor and a vin.

Not needed but on it anyways.

bicycle lights front and back.(cheap and keeps me from becoming roadkill)

handlebar mounted Garming gps(for speed info and trail locations)

88 kit w/out head.(illegal but I dont speed during heavy traffic so no problems with the man)

gp110 3.5" tires(dual tires so i can hit the trails on the way to grandmas)

·
Registered
76 Posts
69z72r said:
ok well in a few months i want to do a street legal 50 build if pa even allows this.

My plans:

Baja designs kit

bbr 88 bbk with carb and cam

irk? or just a rev box?

gearing? what would you run?

street tires

springs

tall seat

bar kit

exhaust? what would be the best pipe? mainly need top end.

anything else?

I've converted one to street legal motorcyle (not the little "moped" version where you have to stay under 49cc and doesn't require insurance or plates or any other of the extra stuff) in Michigan and it is a blast to ride.

I have the baja kit and it's pretty nice, just make sure you get the newer kits with the LED lights if you are buying the full kit. They are much brighter.

It all depends on what top speed and cruising speed you are trying to achieve as to what you need to do to the bike.

I also went with the full out TB stroker kit #6. It makes great power to haul my 6'2" fat @$$ around the back roads over some pretty big hills and I had to do at lease 55 mph to keep up with traffic.

I'm also installing a 4 speed before riding season again, because it will help me keep the revs down when cruising at the high speeds. The 3 speed doesn't really cut it since 1st gear is basically useless (even with the super tall gearing).

I also have a 12"/12" setup with the 2.15 wide rims and it handles the road great. Also running 17/35 tooth gearing. Anything to keep the revs down when trying to get top speed.

Good luck, it is a blast to ride that small of a bike on the roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.