PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got a bitch-ass neighbor who keeps calling the cops everytime I ride my 50 outside my house. :evil: The cops can't do anything unless they catch me in the act, so I'm cool for now. But, I don't want to risk getting my bike taken away, so how do I street legalize my 50?

I live in California, and from what is says on the bajadesigns webpage, you can still street legalize XR50's, but that bajadesigns kit is too much bank. They want $500. Is there a cheaper way I can do it? Hook up my own lights and wires? what process is involved at the DMV?

At www.fourstrokesonly.com it says "Register your California dirt bike in a neighboring state is the only alternative at this time. You will be able to get a plate on these bikes with out spending $500 bucks. Average Price under $250 + Insurance and a one time trip to that state"

Or, anyone got a bajadesigns kit they want to sell?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
sorry dude, the minis are not street legalizable anymore. my buddys got one of the last ones and hes stoked. but even then it was a pain to get it on the street. the new law is something about offroad vehicles cannot be made legal for the street. i know how your feelin tho ive been gettin shit on my licence for riding my mini bike now thats bull!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you sure? on the bajadesigns website it says the 50 is the only offroad bike that is street legalizable anymore, because it is under 50cc. How did your friend go about legalizing it and how much did he have to pay for the lights and whatnot?

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is because it wont meet emission standards for california hwy's they are wanting to to put catalitic converters, on all small engines, this encludes, lawn mowers, etc.....used to be 90cc and down were free of emissions......good bye 2strokes also.....wait til you have to use your new four stroke with emissions(cat, etc) weed wacker that will weight 200 pounds....lol

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
thats the reason, ive been looking on the net for something to explain whats up with 49ccs but all ive been able to find is people riding and the cops not caring! yea right!!! not this city. fucX the police and ride the five O too. do your neigbors complain if you ride on your property? my county has been in a BITTER battle for this lately, seems like the ruling for us will be to ride during reasonable hours (im assuming 11am-dusk) witch is when we ride anyways. i used to love this state but it gets 2x as worse every year, its so depressing, i feel sick thinking to the future. were all going to be robots. god bless america :?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I had property to ride on. My backyard is not nearly big enough to ride the 50. So I just ride it out front of my house on the street. It's still stock and it's not loud at all. And my neighbor isn't even next-door, he's a couple houses away. Problem is, he doesn't have a job and just sits at home all day, so he always complains and calls the cops even if it is the middle of the day on a weekday, when no one could be bothered.

·
Registered
709 Posts
i got a neighbor like that too. i hate them they got nothing to do but complain. i just ride in spurts so the cops havn't cought me yet 8O . it really suck but i can't wait to get my bike back all hooked up its gonna scream down the street and tear up my neighbors lawn :twisted:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's how it happend, I was riding past his house and he told me to stop. I stopped and said "what's up?" He told me to "shut off that thing" so I did, thinking that he wanted just to talk. As soon as he saw me turn the key, he reached down and yanked it out. My other neighbor, who has a 50 and was riding with me, was like "hey, what the fuck are you doing?" The old fat guy then ran to his fence and got to his backyard, at the same time letting his dogs out. I started to go towards the fence and his dogs looked ready to attack me, they were crouched at my feet, and growling. Then his son came out with a baseball bat. While his son stood watch at the fence with the baseball bat, the old fat guy was calling the cops to get them to come and take my bike away.

This all really overwhelmed me, I was being cool and rational, just trying to keep peace with my neighbors. This is the first time this guy has ever spoken to me. He has never warned me once about riding the 50.

The cops showed up, and I was glad, I explained to them that this guy had just stolen my key and threatened me with dogs and a baseball bat. They brushed me aside and told me that I was the one who was causing this trouble. WHAT THE FUCK! But then they told the old guy that since they hadn't actually caught us in the act of riding, there was nothing they could do. I acted calm and decent, and then the cops acted as if I was the one that started this shite.

For now, i will ride like sixsixsix, in spurts. But, the most satisfying thing to do would be to get it street legal, and just ride outside his house all day long.

·
Registered
319 Posts
five0addict said:
sorry dude, the minis are not street legalizable anymore. my buddys got one of the last ones and hes stoked. but even then it was a pain to get it on the street. the new law is something about offroad vehicles cannot be made legal for the street. i know how your feelin tho ive been gettin shit on my licence for riding my mini bike now thats bull!

This is the pop up that comes up when you open bajadesigns website it says...

Attention all California Residents...

Remember: the newly placed CA law regarding the "Dual Registering" of off road motorcycles, DOES NOT APPLY TO YOUR 50!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
One time this old philipino lady hit me with a broom when I was riding by in my neigborhood and I was going like 5 mph 8O

My dad told her next time she touched me that I would kick her ass and I had his permission :lol: and she had the nerve to say she was swatting flies 8O Swatting flies? in the middle the street? with a broom? Right!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I also live in California in the bay area. The cops around here really do not like it one bit if you are riding on the streets. So I did some major investigating on this whole situation. I have talked to the chief of police about 15 of the traffic cops in my town and have e-mailed many of the cops in my town. And the verdict is YOU CAN RIDE ON THE STREET. But you have to follow all of these laws and regulations, and here they are...

1: YOU MUST HAVE A DRIVER LICENSE

2: YOU MUST HAVE A WORKING FRONT "HEADLIGHT" (I AM NOT SURE YET IF IT HAS TO BE A 2 BEAM, LIKE HIGH AND LOW BEAM).

3: YOU MUST HAVE A WORKING BRAKE LIGHT THAT WORKS OFF OF THE FRONT AND REAR BRAKE.

4: YOU MUST HAVE REGISTRATION AND INSURANCE ON THE FIDDY.

5: YOU CAN NOT RIDE ON A STREET WITH A POSTED SPEED LIMIT OF 45MPH OR MORE.

6: YOU MUST HAVE HELMET (NOT A BICYCLE HELMET) BUT A REAL HELMET. IT CAN BE A SKULL TYPE HELMET BUT HAS TO BE AT LEAST A 1/2 THICK.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.