PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i went out into the garage a couple of days ago, only to find oil all over the floor. i took the foot pegs off after i drained the rest of the oil, only to fint that the back side of the peg mount was covered in oil. what do you think the cause of this is? here are some pics. is it just cause the weather has been really cold for about 2 weeks up here, or what? do you guys see any thing wrong?

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
how long are the bolts you used to put the foot peg mount on? If they are too long, they will crack the case where the bolt threads in and oil will seep down the threads of the bolt to wherever and leak out.

Could also be as simple as a bad clutch cover gasket. Go to the auto parts and get a can of brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner and some rags/paper towels. Wipe down the motor until its sparkling clean. Fill it with some oil again (not a full quart) and wait for it to start seeping. I would leave the footpeg mount and bolts off the bike.

An old indian trick for finding an oil leak is to blast the suspected area with baby powder. When the oil leaks out it will be that much more obvious where its coming from when the powder gets wet.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the foot peg bolts are 1.7mm into the cases and the skid plate bolts are 4mm long, but i dont know how much of that goes into the cases

·
Registered
225 Posts
thorwarrior915 said:
An old indian trick for finding an oil leak is to blast the suspected area with baby powder. When the oil leaks out it will be that much more obvious where its coming from when the powder gets wet.

And your bike won't have a diaper rash!

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
It kinda looks like there is a bead of oil dripping down the back side of the cases... maybe by some wild shot the crank case breather is blowing oil out?

Did you try any of the ideas I gave you? You cant diagnose a problem like this via computer, it has to be in front of you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Start the engine and see where the oil is leaking from.

You can't post pics and have people find the leak for you, thats impossible. You might have to look for yourself while the bike is in front of you.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, i just cant make it to the store to get more oil, due to 14 inches of snow and ice, and now its snowing pretty hard

·
Registered
212 Posts
kawasakicoby125 said:
theres also oil coming out of the foot peg hole. what to do now?

get a little shorter bolts for the peg mount & clean the bolt hole out with brake cleaner & put the bolt back in either with teflon tape or locktite. BUT in the future if you split the engine you can patch the crack with JB WELD, or buy a new case half. i have JB'd 1 of mine & it is A OK now (thats been a year n a half ago).

Just double check that the threads are still in good shape, (not stripped out)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts