PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I picked up an 89 YSR 50, and for most part I'd like to keep it stockish (until one of the 20mm adaptor plates comes back up for sale). It was missing the carb, so I spoke to Calamari and went through the original Yamaha docs and everything pointed to a Mikuni VM16SH being the stock carb. Except the mounting bolt holes are spaced about 1/4" or more too far apart to fit onto my (verified original) carb intake/mount. Does anyone know what the bolt spacing is supposed to be on these? I also have seen some stock VM16SH carbs that have the ends cut off (factory) of the bolt mounting holes. Did Mikuni change the VM16SH without changing the part number? Calamari only sells the REALLY big carbs and mounting kits that wouldn't work for me (stock bore). Also, in the last month or so I've been looking not a single used YSR carb has come up for sale here or ebay. Any ideas? I'm lost at this point and am dying to get this thing running.

Mikuni has been of no help as they don't have any contact info for their carbs division, and all of the brochures fail to show mounting bolt spacing. Thanks in advance!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the parts link to make sure you have all the correct parts and spacers.
tmas

That was my first guess, but I've got them all and the intake even has the P/N molded into it so I know it's original. I did some digging and found the GENUINE OD-to-OD of the mounting holes from the original VM16SH is 36mm which would fit my intake manifold perfectly. These were measuring 61mm. Not even close. And the ID on the carb was measuring at 19mm instead of the 16mm a VM16 should. Sent back. I found what looks to be somebody who made a mold out of an original, and they verified the 36mm mounting bolts as well as having the original geometry for those mounting holes as opposed to the perfectly ones on the Chinese "Mikuni" I bought. I wish a used original would pop up for sale, but they seem to be pretty hard to find. Even the adaptor for the 20mm since I can still buy that from Mikuni and Calamari has all the jetting stuff.

We'll see about the knockoff re-cast I guess. If anyone else has any more ideas or parts they're looking to sell, let me know!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.