PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i took my right side cover off tonight to get ready for the hv oil pump i have coming from Trail Bikes tomorrow

i was looking at all the passages in the right side clutch cover, and i see that those two little bumps on the outside of the clutch cover, where it protrudes to fit the clutch, are, what i believe to be, plugged oil taps. i see that there is a passage on the inside of the cover that leads to a chamber in front, in line, of the oil passage into the cylinder/stud oil tract.

im wondering why no one uses this to run a cooler off of? people seem to say that running coolers from the cases is better than from the oil plate on the head. i also dont know why they say that as well, anyone want to inform me??

i searched for it. i tried to use describing words like we learned in English class a few years ago.

ask away if you have no idea what something i said means

i took pictures, but my camera is broke as a welfare abuser, so i used my dads and didnt have a chance to load them up

im sure of your engine gurus know what im speaking of...

thanks for reading, excited to get all my parts tomorrow, pending u.p.s. doesnt drop a duece on my shoe tomorrow

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Z50King said:
, pending u.p.s. doesnt drop a duece on my shoe tomorrow

you're screwed :lol: j/k i hate UPS though...they really suck once you've spent years shipping sh!t

as for the oil taps, that's pretty interesting, i've seen some that come from teh clutch cover, but never where you described

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it can be routed in anywhere, like into the head oil plate

im not saying i want to do this, just asking if anyone has or wants to

yeah, im guessing the pin would have to be pulled out, for i see no way to push it from the outside

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Er, no, you're tapping the supply to the crank. If you don't return it back to the clutch cover, your crank's big end pin will be oil starved... don't expect a long life. If you don't do anything to force the oil through the cooler, you won't have any actual oil flow through the cooler, it'll just fill up and sit there.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i just took my motor apart cuz when i bought the bike someone didnt tighten the valve adjuster screw enough and it fell into the case.. anyways besides the point

the crank is bathed. if any of you wanna see picks ill send them cuz my motor is still apart. i am pretty sure i know the point your are talking about in the motor and (if we both are thinking of the same place) i have wondered why you odnt see many coolers run off it.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Your oil pump pushes oil to two places, the head, and the crank. The oil jet splits the feed between the crank and head, with the size of the jet determining how much oil goes to the head vs the crank. Oil going to the head goes up the stud, into the head, and back down either the cam chain galley or the bottom return path. Oil to the crank goes into the clutch cover, and into the middle of the clutch oil sling through the lil hole in the center. The oil then travels down the clutch side crank arm, to a passage that feeds a hole drilled in the wrist pin. The other end of that hole is under the wrist pin bearing, the oil then drips back into the cases.

·
Registered
257 Posts
hey i think this has something to do with the oil but i am not sure so ill just ask it here. i know that one of the head bolts gets a coper washer to keep oil in but why does one of the head bolts get a regualr nut and all the rest have acorn nuts?

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kurlon said:
Your oil pump pushes oil to two places, the head, and the crank. The oil jet splits the feed between the crank and head, with the size of the jet determining how much oil goes to the head vs the crank. Oil going to the head goes up the stud, into the head, and back down either the cam chain galley or the bottom return path. Oil to the crank goes into the clutch cover, and into the middle of the clutch oil sling through the lil hole in the center. The oil then travels down the clutch side crank arm, to a passage that feeds a hole drilled in the wrist pin. The other end of that hole is under the wrist pin bearing, the oil then drips back into the cases.

oh wow, i didnt know that. im guessing that is what this passage is for then.

drtbkr188 told me that the oil passage into the cylinder should be opened up with a 5/64 drill bit for the high volume oil pump. that is correct right? i dont want to starve my crank....

·
Registered
257 Posts
i did myne with a 2mm drill bit. most kits come with the drill bit. and as for the crank thing i dont know if kurlon is exactly right. I just went outside to look at the case and it looks like all the oil sits in where the crank is until it gets pumped up to the heads. so i dont think there is any way you could starve ur crank. Look at where the oil drain bolt is its in the same place that the crank is so the crank must have oil at all times or the oil drain bolt would not be where it is. jus my observation. dont exactly know if its accurate. but it is a 2mm drill bit i know that, or at least thats wat the classic honda video says

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i do see what kurlon is speaking of, and i think he is correct. although the crank is bathed, oil lubes it from within the crank as well, and that is what this outter passage is for.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ya so i dont really see how the crank could run out of oil if it is bathed and is where the oil is stored until it gets pumped to the head. w.e i dont realy need to know right now.i jus want to know why one of the head bolts gets a coper washer and one gets aregualr nut

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.