PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock fork questions? KLX

I have some questions about oil levels in the forks. We put 225cc's of oil in my buddies forks and there barely budged so im assuming they hydro locked. So i took maybe 25-30cc's out and now there alot better but cant tell if there using all the travel now or hydro locking still. i measured the stroke from the top of the dust boot to the oil ring and it looked like 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches. Does this sound right? all stock internals wit hjust 20wt. Whats a good level of oil for a 200 pounder? thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
Way too much oil man. 3-4oz is usually a good starting place. 225cc is about twice that much. I'm not sure if its hydro locking, but actually just so full of oil there is no where to displace it. Check out a manual to get the exact oil level, it is usually measured from the top of the fork tube with the spring removed and fork leg all the way down.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cr250ryan said:
Way too much oil man. 3-4oz is usually a good starting place. 225cc is about twice that much. I'm not sure if its hydro locking, but actually just so full of oil there is no where to displace it. Check out a manual to get the exact oil level, it is usually measured from the top of the fork tube with the spring removed and fork leg all the way down.
Well theres just under 200cc's in there now. Each leg had 150cc's in it to start with when i drained them. so we stuck 150cc of 20wt back in and they seemed almost as soft. So im thinking about 175cc's is about as much as you can put with stock internals. and if my math is right about 4.7oz's came out. 147cc's is like 5oz's if im right. and right now as they sit they have around 200cc's which is around 6.5oz's. so i wonder what max is?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I wouldn't go any higher than 175cc in each fork tube get to much and your gonna be blowin seals... I think on my stock ones i had 165 in each tube....

Eric

SPM Racing, SANO, Steel MX, Brand X Minis, Klotz Lubricants.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
165cc is the max, try 30wt oil. For a 200 pounder you need hd springs bro.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Yeah 30wt is usually a special order, at least around here.

·
Registered
611 Posts
the oil is not what makes the forks stiff - it makes them go up and down fast or slow depending on the weight of oil and/or valving - get heavier springs - and set the oil level stock height and weight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.