PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is a large 7yo (55"), but he is just getting his feet wet riding. He has a stock crf50 that he has way out grown so he needs a bigger bike. What he doesn't need is more power yet. My plan is to get a new SSR 125 manual clutch and bolt his 50 engine into it saving the 125 engine til he's ready. So far I believe I'll need a BBR CRF50 carb cap to adapt the SSR throttle cable to the stock CRF carb. What I'm not sure about is the electrical. Will the CRF stator plug into to SSR CDI box and kill switch?

Also I'm pretty sure I'll need to soften the suspension by getting softer springs my son weighs 70lbs w/o gear. If anyone has suggestions where I should start with that let me know. TIA

·
Vendor
10,568 Posts
You will need
BBR Carb Cap
Pod filter
Exhaust Gasket
Intake Gaskets

Like frantz65 said , just run the CRF50 Electronics on the SSR
Bail on the Key Switch
Its just another kill button (Normally open - Closed to ground) so you can just unplug that

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for the replies. I'm guessing I will have to use the kill button from the SSR since the CRF uses the throttle/kill switch/brake all in one. I will be ordering the parts from TBolt today.
Are there any sources for softer suspension springs? As I understand it these bike are sprung for an adult from the factory so I'm quite sure my son will need softer springs. I'm pretty sure Racetech might have something, but I was wondering if there are other sources.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The power difference really isn't that big between the crf 50 and the SSR 125.

I've raced mine a little at the local go kart track and never stomped the guys on the 50s. It was just a little faster but not enough that I'd swap engines.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I've raced mine a little at the local go kart track and never stomped the guys on the 50s. It was just a little faster but not enough that I'd swap engines.
I seriously doubt anyone, but a kid is riding Tracks w a stock 50engine. They make about 2.5hp on a good day.

·
Registered
381 Posts

crf makes mid 2 hp. The ssr 125 makes like 8hp..... Id say thats about 400% power differance -_-

·
Vendor
10,568 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
T bolt do you happen to know what the stock spring rates are on the SSR SR125? Thanks for the help. I have contacted Race tech to see what they might have. I just know it might get pricy. I wish SSR offered their with 2 differnt suspension set ups one for kids (<120lbs) and the current one for the adults. They do realise these bikes are great for kids to learn on right? Thanks again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I have been able to find out the stock SSR shock comes with a progressive rate spring thats "around" 800 lbs/in. I have also come across a few threads that state the stock shock tends to blow seals rather easily. I am looking for a new shock that has a lighter spring rate for my 70lb son. Will this DNM shock work? DNM KLX110 Rear Shock (350) - Pit Bike Chassis Parts - Rear Shocks - WHS-1818-1 - TBolt USA, LLC
Its 5mm shorter,but thats fine I want to lower the seat hight a bit anyway.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had my girls cousin who was 8 learn how to ride on my SSR 125 and he didn't have any problems. It took a little while for him to learn the clutch and everything but other than that was great.

I'd suggest just getting a semi auto. Possibly even just going with the SSR 110. It feels like a much smaller more nimble bike.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ask anyone. Ssrs are slow brah!
I have an ssr 125 and 160 tr.

Its def faster than a 50 my man..... Sorry to tell you.. There's a 75cc difference so obviously its going to make more power My ssr 125 has been gps'd at over 50 mph.....

So i ask myself... Who owns a ssr 125 ssr 160 kx100 yz250 and have had/ridden plenty of 50's. Is a ssr slower? Answers no. It maybe slow for a 125 but its not slower than the 50 by ANY means. Stock 50s are gutless. I can pull wheelies and hit jumps and climb fat ass hills on the ssr...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have an ssr 125 and 160 tr.

Its def faster than a 50 my man..... Sorry to tell you.. There's a 75cc difference so obviously its going to make more power My ssr 125 has been gps'd at over 50 mph.....

So i ask myself... Who owns a ssr 125 ssr 160 kx100 yz250 and have had/ridden plenty of 50's. Is a ssr slower? Answers no. It maybe slow for a 125 but its not slower than the 50 by ANY means. Stock 50s are gutless. I can pull wheelies and hit jumps and climb fat ass hills on the ssr...
Re read my posts.

I never said the crf50 is faster than the 125. I said it's not enough of a difference to justify paying to swap motors. Plus on the 125, it comes wired so adding lights is a breeze!

If I was in the op's shoes, I'd go to a place and let the kid ride it with the 125 and see how he does.

My two cents

·
Vendor
10,568 Posts
So I have been able to find out the stock SSR shock comes with a progressive rate spring thats "around" 800 lbs/in. I have also come across a few threads that state the stock shock tends to blow seals rather easily. I am looking for a new shock that has a lighter spring rate for my 70lb son. Will this DNM shock work? DNM KLX110 Rear Shock (350) - Pit Bike Chassis Parts - Rear Shocks - WHS-1818-1 - TBolt USA, LLC
Its 5mm shorter,but thats fine I want to lower the seat hight a bit anyway.
Im sorry but i think that will be to light

·
Vendor
10,568 Posts
Should bolt right up
550-650 is my guess for your needs
If you go to light the weight of the bike will just drop the shock right out
There is alot to leverage to compensate for with this type of suspension

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Enduro
Update
I ended up finding a lightly used SSR SR110 for $320 on Craig's.
I'm going to completely disassemble it and rebuild it for Christmas. My son is 7.5 and weighs 75lbs so a few set up changes are nessisary.
Mods: new shock with softer spring, fork rebuild 10wt and remove one fork spring for lighter rate, new Dunlop MX31/32 tires, new chain, levers,foot pegs.
I also plan to have him help me transplant his crf 50 engine into the SSR frame. His riding skills are not where his physical size is lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.