PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a crf50 and im about 6'2and i weigh about 170lbs. i will be very low on cash after that and i need to know some upgrades to make it fit better and i need it cheap sorry for being a newb but every 1 starts out that way. oh and i need a quiet exhaust for it also (my neighbors are b*Tchy about noise)

I was thinking about getting a raised seat and some stiffer shocks what else go you guys think i should get to make it fit cheap and maby a price range i will need to be spending?

Thanks 4 your help

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Get a taller seat and a nice bar kit. The stock exhaust is as quiet as your going to get.

What are you going to be doing? Street? Dirt Jumps? Racing?

If you plan on going big, just save up for a shock and some forks. Don't waste your money on the springs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am the same size as you and a new-B to the sport as well. Last evening I installed the bar kit from BBR and wow what a difference it makes over all. I am sure there are cheaper units out there but why settle for less..

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Footpegs and a new shifter is a plus, like monkeyman said. :wink:

I do not recomend the BBR bar kit, as the bars are way to tall and not wide at all. Also the throttle assembly that comes with the kit is the worst throttle I have ever owned. I was clamping it down to my bars and the metal cracked. So I would go with a kit that comes with a billet throttle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
im the exact same size bro. get two bros bars with the bbr tall seat. NICE FIT. for quiet exhuast get a pipe the has exchangable tips and put the stock one on. if u dont have to money for forks get the springs and +1's. as for the back GET AN I-SHOCK if people say its not worth it they are lying!

·
Registered
185 Posts
A decent cheap bar solution would be the bar riser that 50ccracing.com sells. It raises your stock bars 1.5inches and moves them forward 1.5 inches. It cost about $30 and makes riding the tiny 50 a little more comfortable without costing much. It works well as a temp solution until you can save up some money to buy a good bar kit.

For more info on the bar riser kit check out my link.

http://www.freewebs.com/racingrice97/xrfiddyhowtos.htm

Check on ebay for springs, you can get a front and rear set for about $65. These two things will really help. If you need a little more room you can get a taller seat foam and cover, or a complete seat kit that includes seat pan and all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got the bar riser, and springs, and basically to me they are both temporary until I can get a bar kit and such. I only spent about 150 bucks to make my 50 pretty darn comfortable, and usually bar kits are priced higher than that! and I realized you need a new seat if you sit down at all! my a$$ was so sore from riding a couple hours!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm 6'4'' and I think that clamps and bars are the best first investment.

I would go down to the bicycle shop and buy some really tall bmx bars to run and try to make sure they are chromoly. Then when you pick out your handle bar clamps make sure they have really tall risers. I run Red Baron clamps with MX risers, instead of BMX risers. Makes the setup even taller.

Then just start buying things when you have the money:

-+ 1'' chromoly fork legs and + 1'' heavy duty springs

-+ 2-3'' swingarm with an XR 70 Works Shock or I-Shock

-shifter

-foot pegs

-tall seat foam

-88cc kit (honda trail bikes kits are affordable, otherwise get a Kitaco)

-1/4 turn throttle

The list goes on and on. Good luck hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help and sorry for not replying earlier but i was on vaca. I really appreciate your imput i was wondering about taking my bmx bars but would it be hard to fit the throttle on it? or would it fit for that matter?

~j

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.