PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they are absolutely horrible , super stiff and harsh as hell , any help on this setup would be appreciated . I am 180 # and these are way to stiff

what oil # ?? and how much ? and I believe that the emulators are as soft as possible .............................thanks in advance David

·
Registered
221 Posts
The springs are your problem. Put a stock spring in on just one side and that will make it better. Im 150 lbs and I ran the stock springs in my forks with 10wt oil and the extended rods and they were fine.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Put a zip tie on one of the fork legs. You should be getting almost 6 inches of travel. If you are only getting 4 then you need to take out oil until you get the full travel. Too much oil will definitely make for a harsh ride.

·
Registered
780 Posts
klx pitrider said:
wat wud the zip tie do?

If you put it on the upper fork tube between the fork seal and the lower clamp and push it all the way down against the seal before you ride you can easily measure how much travel you are using.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1tenner said:
Put a zip tie on one of the fork legs. You should be getting almost 6 inches of travel. If you are only getting 4 then you need to take out oil until you get the full travel. Too much oil will definitely make for a harsh ride.

I wrapped my hand around them ( covered them with finger prints basically , they were about 1 inch from bottoming so I took out 1 1/2 inch of oil but they still feel really stiff . I will try changing out 1 spring . thanks Guys

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luckystar64 said:
1 spring, 7 wt. oil 90mm from the top with the forks collapsed, then yank those emulators. --L*64

do you mean 1 heavy spring and 1 stock spring ? 90mm with the springs in or out ? and are the emulators junk ? I am 180 # thanks David

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
You're borderline weight (180) to run 1 stock/1 stiff spring. I'd do the 7 wt. oil 90mm from the top with the fork springs out, and the forks fully compressed. If it's still too stiff, then use 1 stock spring and one stiff spring.

I've ridden a bike with the emulators, and my stocker without the emulators, and I can't tell the difference in the front ends either way. I'm thinking that you have the oil wrong in the forks, along with two stiff springs-- and that's causing some kind of hydraulic "lock" so to speak in the forks. Try it with and w/out both stiff springs and post up your findings. ---L*64

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Luckystar64 said:
You're borderline weight (180) to run 1 stock/1 stiff spring. I'd do the 7 wt. oil 90mm from the top with the fork springs out, and the forks fully compressed. If it's still too stiff, then use 1 stock spring and one stiff spring.

I've ridden a bike with the emulators, and my stocker without the emulators, and I can't tell the difference in the front ends either way. I'm thinking that you have the oil wrong in the forks, along with two stiff springs-- and that's causing some kind of hydraulic "lock" so to speak in the forks. Try it with and w/out both stiff springs and post up your findings. ---L*64

I will know by Wednesday , I will try it , is it possible that it is too stiff because of the added thickness of the emulators acting as shims or spacers with the heavy springs . If the emulators are too loose than they aren't really doing anything except taking up space anyways , are they ?? I will let you know , and thanks again , David

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
i had bbr hd springs bbr rods and 10wt. and it was terrible. then i tried 1 hd 1 standard spring and they were still sh!tty. the problem is in the springs, mine felt like they were binding. i replaced them with twobros mild springs and there perfect now. i'm 175#s and ride an indoor arenacross track. i've also owned full bbr perimiter framed 50's and 110 with zokes, so i have a lot to compare my setup to.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
What you need for a fork set up depends on the type of riding you do .

:?: Trail , mx with big jumps or little ones or none , etc ...

:?: I'm guess'n you drilled out the rods ?

Please tell us what weight and how many cc's of oil you have in each fork right now .

And yes .., the emulators will act as a shim , not good with hd springs .

I say go with one stock spring and one hd spring to start . And if it is still too stiff go with both stock springs .

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
From what I've red in other posts about on here about these gold valves , I guess you need to drill out the compression holes on the rods .

And yes it will make it softer . :)

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Hmmm! I never used any kind of emulators. Just BBR rods, and 1 stiff spring. It works pretty decent except on small chop. It chatters at that point. Fortunately there isn't anything like that on the tracks that I ride the stocker on. It's a fun bike to thrash on. It'll just take whatever I can throw at it. --L*64

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yes, with emulators you are supposed to drill out the damping orifices in the rods. The oil should totally blow right through those because the damping is taken care of by the gold valves. If you are using the gold valves without drilling out the rods, that would definitely account for the overly stiff forks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts