PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see, I am new here and this is my first post. Hope I have chose the right category to post this. I have a few questions in regards to my SSR 170.

I just picked up a used 2020 ssr 170tx (my first pitbike). At wide open throttle she wants to pop and bark back, so I opened her up a little to give it more fuel which helped a little but my idle is now extremely high in my opinion. So, I have been looking into a kit for an upgraded carb as I have noticed many people do on these bikes. The trouble I am running into is one of two things. The first being that I am not exactly sure what carb kit is correct for my set up or what different options I have? I have done some searching but I want to ensure I am getting the right thing. Does anyone have a part number(s) they could share with me? Second, the bike has a few mods already done, unfortunately I am still waiting on a parts list from the previous owner. At the moment I believe the carb that's on it is a 26mm mikuni (the carb is stamped: 26 672u 56-5 zl 123 y1) which I thought they didn't come stock with? Any help would be great.

Last question: I am considering swapping the fairings. Is it possible to run crf 110 fairings or do I have to go with the klx 110 and can I run the 2020 model plastics? Lastly, does anyone offer gray fairings? I am not having much luck finding them in gray.

I know that is quite a few questions in a quick post, but any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Its good to be a part of the group and I am looking forward to furthering my knowledge in the pit bike world.

Thanks in advance and God bless!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey bud welcome to planetminis :)
There klx110 plastics but if you really wanted to use crf110 plastics it would take a fair bit of mucking around to make them fit properly so just stick with the klx style
And after some researching there do come with a mikuni 26mm carb
You could either go up or down in size depending on what you want

Personally I like a bigger carb on a bigger cc engine for more top end but it’s good to also have the option in a 26-28mm range I’d recommend trying a 28mm carb its

and I’m not sure you can get grey plastics might have to settle for black with grey graphics or if your handy with painting you can use a special plastic paint you’d have to go into a bodyshop and speak to them about getting a “plastic primer” that is what they use in the automotive trade on plastics that flex so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work on mx plastics

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey bud welcome to planetminis :)
There klx110 plastics but if you really wanted to use crf110 plastics it would take a fair bit of mucking around to make them fit properly so just stick with the klx style
And after some researching there do come with a mikuni 26mm carb
You could either go up or down in size depending on what you want

Personally I like a bigger carb on a bigger cc engine for more top end but it’s good to also have the option in a 26-28mm range I’d recommend trying a 28mm carb its

and I’m not sure you can get grey plastics might have to settle for black with grey graphics or if your handy with painting you can use a special plastic paint you’d have to go into a bodyshop and speak to them about getting a “plastic primer” that is what they use in the automotive trade on plastics that flex so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work on mx plastics
Thanks!

Appreciate the response and information! I have painted plastic before, doable but a challenge with the chemical in the plastic. Is every year able to swap over? Do you know if the 2020 klx 110 plastics fit right up?

With the carb, it is good to know that it has a stock carb (room for improvement). Do you have a specific part number? I have looked online and I cant seem to find where they offer an upgrade specifically for the ssr 170, it doesn't call it out directly.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nah the 2020 klx 110 won’t fit but you could make them fit by changing the mounting brackets you would need the 2020 fuel tank seat and plastics to line them up properly and figure out what you need to fix or change it sounds hard but with a lot of patience and fiddling it can be done

yeah I’d imagine painting plastics for a dirt bike wouldn’t last very long considering how much we put them thru

most carbs are interchangeable for all engines within reason obviously
From 125-190cc you could just about run a 22-33mm carb setup I’ve found a 26mm to be almost just right for many 140,yx150 z155 and yx160 motors
But ultimately comes down to your riding style and if you race or not With varies jet sizes and figuring out the right setup for you is half the fun

and a pe28 and oko 30mm are my main two carbs I run on my 190
I’d recommend looking at getting a 28mm for your 170 you’d be very happy it has great bottom end and great top end

·
Registered
39 Posts
The stock carb you have was the same one that came on my ssr160 tr. The carb only has a 22mm slide inside but has a long oval 30mm tall by 22mm wide. This is going to be a little restrictive. I went to a nibbi 28mm flatslide on my bike and now the bike has a decent bit more power. The nibbi carb mount with a silicone tube and hose clamps which is all available on amazon in the sizes you would want(26mm-28mm) roundslide or flatslide. I got my nibbi flatslide 28mm and modified my old intake to get it to work, think i paid 80 bucks and comes with spare jets to get the mixture right... Check them out if you dont want to fork over a few hundred for a real keihin carb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts