PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 50 apart right now just cleaning it up and lubing it and also replacing the fork guides but when I was cleaning the engine today on the clutch side I had the engine tipped up so i could do a good job and get it real clean. But the next thing I knew there was oil all over the place. I was like wtf? The sprocket seal was leaking which must be from alot of dirt, sand and etc. getting in the case and around the sprocket and eating the seal up. I had noticed the oil there awhile ago but it wasnt leaking alot or anything just a tiny little drop.

When I get the new seal do I just take it out and put it in like usual (pop the seal out with a screwdriver and put the new one in with a little gasket sealer around the outside of the seal?) Or is there anything that I should know about?

Just to let everybody know. Keep it cleaned out in the case by the sprocket. Alot of mud and crap goes in there and stays and then eventually eats your seal up like in my case. I think when I get my new CRF50 in the spring ill cut the case off in that area so that nothing can stay in there or else buy an aftermarket case if their around. Does anybody know of any companies making aftermarket ignition covers. I thought that I heard somewhere that DPMX was going to be making them.

·
Registered
667 Posts
So what does changing the seal involved. My case is cut out but I changed sprockets this weekend. Behind the sprocket was a spool of grass wrapped around the shaft. Come to find out the grass was sealing it because it started leaking after I removed it. Is this a very technical change.

·
Registered
667 Posts
-eagle- said:
So what does changing the seal involved. My case is cut out but I changed sprockets this weekend. Behind the sprocket was a spool of grass wrapped around the shaft. Come to find out the grass was sealing it because it started leaking after I removed it. Is this a very technical change.

Anyone?

My crankcase is not clogged I checked that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
pry it out with a screw driver

tap the new one back in with a rubber mallet

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ok: I rode it for a few months before I had the case cut out so the sprocket was exposed so i think that ate the seal up.

It was so bad that only a piece of it, looked like an o ring, and the sealing spring were left. I found the best way to re-install is this.

Grease the inside of the new seal get a 3/4 deep socket and tap until the rubber is mounted flush with the case. My buddy didn't grease or tap flush & his leaks. Mines seems to be fine. Had an solo urban assault mission on it night before last.

·
Registered
322 Posts
thats a good pointer on the greasing of the seal

on alll seals you should do that ,kicker shifter ect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.