PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 50 with pretty much stock gearing. have a 38 tooth in the back and i am running a 88 kit with race head. my problem is that my bike is topping out of its top speed way to quickly. i am racing at havasu and i heard their track is very fast. my question is what would be a good front sprocket? 15 tooth or 16 tooth? also, takagawa's sprocket has holes inside of it. Will this effect how it works compared to one with no holes?

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
go with the 15T ..good all around counter sprocket when you are using 37 or 38 rear...I have 15/37 on my kiddos bike ..it has an 88 and a 4spd...it friggin hauls with her or me and has plenty of grunt...the holes in the Tak are just to lighten it..the metal in the Tak sprocket is better than stock....in this reply I assume you now have a 13 or a 14 tooth counter......a 16 may be a bit much IDK

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
doopsx3 said:
go with the 15T ..good all around counter sprocket when you are using 37 or 38 rear...I have 15/37 on my kiddos bike ..it has an 88 and a 4spd...it friggin hauls with her or me and has plenty of grunt...the holes in the Tak are just to lighten it..the metal in the Tak sprocket is better than stock....in this reply I assume you now have a 13 or a 14 tooth counter......a 16 may be a bit much IDK
cant really compare gearing from 4 speed to 3 speed, which im assuming he's running

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wait, so your saying that the 34 tooth will make it go faster in the long run but slower acceleration? so if thats right, i guess i will do the 15t and then just see what does better at the track. the 34 or the 38. does that sound right? also, how much of a difference will 1 tooth in the front make?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Im to PRO said:
wait, so your saying that the 34 tooth will make it go faster in the long run but slower acceleration? so if thats right, i guess i will do the 15t and then just see what does better at the track. the 34 or the 38. does that sound right? also, how much of a difference will 1 tooth in the front make?

yeah, since you have the 34 handy just do the 15/38. then if its too slow of top speed throw the 34 on. it will basically be like putting 16 on the front....and then some

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
here is the deal

49 divided by 13 (13/49)=3.77 ur final drive ratio

43 divided by 13 (13/43)=3.30 ur final drive ratio

the smaller the final drive ratio the taller the gear (sounds backwards)more top

the larger the fnal drive ratio the lower the gear (i.e. more low end)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.