PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my Showa project finished and on the LXR, so I had a Pitster front end just laying around. I wasnt going to get rid of it because Ive been wanting to do a stocker (or comparable china bike) build, and wouldnt mind using those forks. Anyhow, a friend calls and says he'd trade me a 04 KLX110 that was blown up. Couldnt pass it up. Shes rough, but with a little TLC she will be good as new. Looks like the piston kissed the vlaves or something because it exploded and chucks of it are ALLLLL in the bottom end. The rods bent as well, but other than that she should be solid. Terry at firepowerminis.com will be helping me out with a crazy 56.6 stroker, and most likely a 60mm jug/slug. This bike will be a mostly stock chassis, stock looking SLEEPER engine set up for cruising around the track and some backyard FMX. She will have the Misfit Minis touch to her with graphics, and billet accessories
This build might take a while, (just finished LXR... im BROKE lol) but should move along nicely.

If you guys have any stock parts that you see are missing, PLEASE post what you are willing to take for them. Also, Ive read that the 05 and up changed a bit. What all changed other than ths shift shaft? Should I update the engine? Thanks for looking fellas and by all means post your thoughts!

How i received the bike:

After a bit of cleaning up. Happen to find a tank in a pile of parts in my shed

Scored a swinger and shock from Skywalker:

Same shotty wheel from first 2 pics... only clean/polished/trued up:

Looks like its time to get the weed wacker out and freshen up the mini FMX set up.. this bike is gonna be PERFECT for it!

Heres the landing (and one of my lil buddies).... last year sometime I think. Looks cool when touched up, landlord LOVES it baahahahaha

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant wait!

Haha thanks man. Really thinking about the FMX look. Ill have a spare seat, and number plates so I can convert back and forth. Wanna make grab holes in the # plates, and shave down the seat. Also plan on putting stiff springs all the way around. Keeping mostly everything stock though... drums, wheels, forks, shock etc...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool ramp....did you make it?

your like me......always have a bike in the build stage.

Man I traded a clapped out 125cc china engine for it a couple years ago. Think that engine is still going strong (well.. going) after all the abuse I put it through. It was a weird name brand... cant remember it. I did however build the landing. Jumped a car or two with the set up.. only busted through twice so far haha.

Yeah.. I lucked out on this one. I was so glad to finally get the LXR finished, wanted to buy some decent clothes/shes etc. next lol. Then this deal popped up and Ive got the bug again! Just looking at it knowing its mine, I wanna ride it more than the full mod haha. This really is an addiction....

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, yes it is...

Can't wait to see what you do with this bike.

That's a pretty tight little fmx setup you got there.

Thanks man.. you ever in cajun country your more than welcome to pass by the "Misfit Compound" lmao. Its super fun/smooth, and for beginners we can push them together so it can be rolled. Gonna try to keep this bike simple... but then again we all know how that goes

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha before you know it you'll be looking for a lxr roller with klx mounts lol

You read my mind
Im having FPM bore my cases just incase something happens. Wont need it now, but should the H.O. bite the dust I want to be able to swap topend over to the KLX bottom. As soon as Matt gets the bugs worked out of his mounts, Im gonna grab a set

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the GDFP blessed me with a flywheel puller for the KLX today so I was able to finish splitting the cases. Rods bent on the crank, and tons of peices of the piston fell out lol. Got her torn down, tomorrow hopefully I will get them all cleaned up and ready to go off toTerry @ Firepower Minis. Gonna go ahead and have them bored for future reference. I gotta say, everyone bashes chinese stuff, but Ive never seen chinese molding look as bad as the kawi stuff. Theres a ton of little hair-line fractures all through the cases. Not even in stress points.... just looks like a crappy molding??? O-well lol. Heres some pics of the engine broken down and ready to be cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's just casting marks. They are all like that.

Yeah, but they are pretty horrible lol. They are actually like cracks though, you can stick a pic in some of them. I know its just casting... but you would think they would do a little better job. In one part of the case, it looks like a dried up mud puddle or shattered glass! Tons of little cracks... just never saw that in any of the China mills Ive built.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, made final decison today. Going with the Firepower 56.6 stroker, and a stock topend. That should put her at a torquey 125cc's. With that crank/topend, bored cases, updated output, and 4th gear, she'll still be slow/tame enough to have fun in the yard, but on stand by should the full mod go. If that happens, I will be able to to swap topends and throw the klx bottom in the LXR for a screeming 180-ish K-LXR. Peeeerfect
Parts coming in, parts going out... updated pics coming soon!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I caught mine before it got that bad. I was missing a small piece of the bottom and middle ring lands from the piston. Both oil rings were balled up in the bottom end and I'm still missing a piece of the wavy oil ring. Cylinder looks perfect still though.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cylinder looks perfect still though.

You're lucky!!! On this one the spigot broke on the cylinder, and the head was trashed too. Who knows how it was built or why it did that lol.

BTW, if anyone reading this has any KLX parts that you dont see in the pics let me know. Right now Im looking for a stock rear wheel, some 110 bars (preferably TAGS) and a torgue bar or whatever you call it lol.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So thanks to another friend hooking me up with some parts he had laying around, I was able to get some more done on the chassis. I was also able to strip/clean the cases and send them off to Terry at Firepower for boring (and Im sure he's got some other tricks up his sleeve
. The head will be ported, bigger valves installed, and the cylinder honed. Cant wait to get em back so I can start on my first attempt at the starter boss removal. Im pretty confident it's gonna come out great! Looking at these pics today compared to the first ones posted, I cant believe how far shes come along in just a week. I only have the $30 I spent on shipping today invested in the whole build so far! Still looking for a rear wheel and other things..... come on guys what yall got?

I wanna by the red seat cover now so bad so they will at least start to resemble each other, but I GOTTA get her running first. The pretty stuff comes last...

Got a busy week ahead of me lol. The Ranchers getting a new topend, and the little quad in the back of the two getting a whole new body. (Ill post pics of it finished too hehehe) While Im talking about it, id like to tell its story. A friend dropped them off claiming the were "Chinese pieces of sh*t" that never had the oil changed in them and had sat outside in the weather for 4-5 years now. Neither ran... I took the engine down, adjusted valves, flushed it real good, changed oil, chiseled the crap out of the carb and cleaned the jets. Threw a new battery in it and she fired right up and ran smooth as could be! When the new plastics go one its being sold back to the same guy who dropped it off hahaha. No oil change, sat in weather for 4+ years... and she fires right up and still runs like new??!! Whats "sh*t" about that!!??

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, still no extra cash for parts for the stocker (well, I have a reserve for a rear wheel BUT NOBODY SEEMS TO HAVE ONE!!! lol)... but I did manage to finish the little quad I spoke of above. Check it out, its hard to believe this thing sat outside that long eh?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
my fiddy engines have so many stress marks in the cases. I have 3 engine and all have them. 1 was so bad when they pressed the bearings in it is cracked the cases couldnt believe a japanese bottom end could be so bad...

Love your build though looks amazing.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.