PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 atc 70 no spark when i unplug wire from motor and put test light in it has spark as soon as i plug in i lose spark.. I swaped the coil kill switch and wiring from my running bike still same thing... I put all the parts from that bike on my runing bike it fires right up.. Could it be the pionts or condenser any help would be appricted

thanks jon

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ya i would say bad points i usually see the part of the points that rides on the crank shaft wore down to the point of not being able to adjust them could be that or they are dirty and need sanding with a point file every atc i have, i just replace the points with a new set and i never had a bad condenser just points hope this helps

Louk

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes try points first but also be ready to replace the stator, it's the windings that are on eather side of the points. they break down with age and can no longer generate an electricle field to fire the points,hope that helps

·
Registered
293 Posts
fighting the same problem... so I figure i'd piggyback this thread.

Reset the points. Opening right at the F mark and within spec at the T mark.

Original coil.

Anybody have specs to test it?

I was thinking condensor but then doubt arose when LouK said he hasn't run into a bad one.

·
Registered
551 Posts
the plug thingy that goes over the spark plug might be bad that happen to me i spent like 2 hours trying to find out what was rong and its just a simple fix :cool:

·
Registered
293 Posts
so I test the coil..... zero resistance.

Just for ****s and grins... I test a brand new 72' z50 coil. I get zero resistance on that too. wtf

·
Registered
4 Posts
replace the stator!!!, they go bad and you'll get anything from a hard start to a no start and week spark, i got 3 dead atc's running in less than an hour buy replacing the stators.

·
Registered
376 Posts
so im on the same thing, no spark, new coil- and ive got voltage coming from the ignition pickup (lights a test light brightly)

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes, you have to check the obvious simple things first,but remember there are 2 stator coils, one for lights,one for ignition. it is possible to have spark but not have enough of an electric field to maintain the spark, the rotor spinning around the stator coils generates an electric field that allows the points and coil to do there jobs. when those coils break down with age it gets harder to generate the proper electric field for everything to work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts