PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever tried to use a Heli-Coil or Perma-Coil to repair spark plug threads? Even if you manage to seat the coil neatly into the newly drilled and tapped hole, you still have to contend with the thread locking adhesive (you 'did' use thread adhesive, right?) that has bled past the coil and is now sitting proud on the inside of your coil. This is alright for a thread that isn't almost constantly being utilized, but how many times per season do you pull the plug out of your engine? Also, you now have a weakened sealing area for the spark plug washer, not great for sealing or for retaining torque.

There is a far superior product, called Time - Sert. This is one solid steel bushing with a sealing ring for the spark plug washer, crimped (the last few threads of the bushing are cold rolled, and when installed 'crimp' themselves in place) with loctite into the newly drilled and tapped hole. Vs. a coiled wire 'sprung' into a newly drilled and tapped hole with loctite. As a second benefit

Now, as individuals a Heli-Coil type repair "can" be done for about $25. $5 for the coil, $15 for the tap and about $5 for a small carded loctite tube. Your results may on successful install. I've seen some of these attempts made by 'mechanics' as a licensed technician in the heavy equipment industry... :p

I was curious if anyone would be interested in splitting the cost of a Time-Sert kit for about the same cost? The Time - Sert kit costs $65 US plus shipping and includes 5 bushings. Here's the proposal. You send your head, return shipping costs and $20 for the cost of materials. I'll install a Time - Sert into any head using the M10 x 1.00 (NGK CR7HSA) thread. I will guarantee workmanship and test the thread for strength and sealing prior to shipping it back.

Admins: I hope that I haven't overstepped boundaries here, if I have, 1 thousand apologies.

Why is it a Canuck thread? The 49th Parallel. It must be an awesome sight to see; I've basically lived on it all of my life and never managed to spot it. I assume based on SHIPPING COSTS to and from the US that the 49th parallel is a vertical glass wall covered in WD-40, that can only be crossed by shipping companies that have installed suction cups to the tires of their trucks made of the softest and most supple rubber.

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I use nothing but time-serts for thread repair. IMO helicoils are a back yard temp repair, time-serts are a permanent repair.
Often some great deals on time-sert kits will pop up on Ebay.
The benefits are almost countless, no concerns about galling if removing the spark plug hot - its a steel bushing..., won't gall even with repeated use, won't pull out, loctite won't bleed through and create problems. Win, win, win.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.