PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to go start up my bike after cleaning and maintaining it real good last night and at first it would start but i would hear a wierd noise by the sparkplug. So i shut her down and investigated and found out their is a leak coming from my sparkplug. I dont know how it is there and i guess its from the threads. Is their any way to fix this other than getting a new head? Thanks

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
was it tight? does it have a washer that goes with it? I have never had a leak through that. Are you sure it was the spark plug and not head gasket?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it has the washer and everything. Im pretty sure the threads are stripped because they look chewed up all the way to the last three. I tried a new plug and it does the same thing. Does anyone have a used head for sale?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
dam,muscles its a spark plug not a head bolt on a car.lol. nows your chance to put a 143 tb kit on,if not im sure many people have stock heads for sale.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ibmike13 said:
dam,muscles its a spark plug not a head bolt on a car.lol. nows your chance to put a 143 tb kit on,if not im sure many people have stock heads for sale.

Ha its not cause i muscled it in there. Hell, i dont even now why its leaking, it worked perfect two days ago, now i went to start it again and it wont say on for more than two seconds. Before it stayed as long as i gave it a little gas. Im not putting any more aftermarket stuff as i am probably selling it soon. Im sure people must have their stock heads layin around since so many people are upgrading.

·
Registered
711 Posts
my 50 did the same thing but not the leaking spark plug. would idle unless i gave it a little gas. then wouldn't start at all. i had to adjust the valves and now its perfect. oh yea and it ran the day before to.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fastdwarf28 said:
you dont need to buy a new head spend $8.00 on a plug healycoil. you can get it at any parts store

I was thinking about that but i read that its like $70 for the kit. If anyone knows anything about the process of using it on a sparkplug hole or any other info please post, thanks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok im gonna be doin the helicoil but am not sure what this job requires. Are there any tips in taking off the head and such as ive never done this before? Im gonna be checkin the valves at the same time so its not so bad (havent done that yet either).

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don't do a Heli-Coil, try and find a motorcycle shop that can install a Time-Sert, they work much better. I have a head with Hot Cams camshaft that just came off of my motor that I can sell you for less than the cost of the cam($80). Or, since I am here in PA, you can ship me your head and we will Time-Sert it for you and ship it back. If you can't find a local bike shop to do it, PM me and we can discuss it.

Good Luck,

Dan

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went to the dealer and he said that the kit would be about $100 and then i told him i could get a used head for alot cheaper and he said that i should bring it into him to fix it cause the timing and everything would be hard to do. Im kinda confused right now but i think ill just buy a used head and do it myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.