PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the oem crf70 top clamp be used with Sp-5 forks or is the BBR clamp required? I was told an xr80 top clamp would work but after purchasing one thats definetly not the case. Really don't want to spend $300 on a set of triple clamps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am pretty sure the sp5 fork legs are the same dimensions as oem crf70 fork legs

my gut feeling is telling me that the oem 70 clamp will easily accept the sp5 fork legs

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Yes, you can use the top clamp just fine as the fork uppers are exactly the same as the OEM honda units. You will need the Honda style threaded fork caps as pictured below. They have a collar that fits through the top clamp and has a threaded inside for the bolts to go down through the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you can use the top clamp just fine as the fork uppers are exactly the same as the OEM honda units. You will need the Honda style threaded fork caps as pictured below. They have a collar that fits through the top clamp and has a threaded inside for the bolts to go down through the top.

Thank you very much I was hoping I could just swap top caps on the upper legs. But i wanted to ask before I went and opened them up in fear springs and fluid would fly out hahaha.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Thank you very much I was hoping I could just swap top caps on the upper legs. But i wanted to ask before I went and opened them up in fear springs and fluid would fly out hahaha.
As long as they are fully extended and not compressed you shouldn't have too much pressure on the top caps. From experience I'd reccomend at least loosening both the top caps while the fork legs are clamped in and on the bike. BBR has a good video on youtube on rebuilding the forks if you are replacing seals. I have spare honda top caps and an full xr70 triple clamp if you need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts