PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forums. I have been reading around a bit and there is a TON of great knowledge here. This will surly help me in my new adventure of owning a CRF50 :grin:

In the last 2 days I have probably put 3 hours on my 2004 CRF50 practicing wheelies and such. My butt is so sore! I have the stock seat on it. Would it help to put one of the taller seats on it?

I am 6'1" and 240 lbs so I know that I am bottoming the suspention just by sitting on the bike :rolleyes:

Is there another spring that I should get for my fat a$$ ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
welcome to the forums!

the seats are small, my azz even gets sore after a while and my seat is like a pillow.

there are a bunch of aftermarket seats out there, different firmness, depends on what youre wanting though. Ive got 2 bbr seats and a sdg one, the BBR's are like sitting on a cloud.

If youre just going to be stunting and not hitting big stuff, just get hd springs for the front fork legs, and a descent rear shock for the rear. You COULD get just a hd rear spring for the stock shock, I havent really heard good things at all about them however.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I am just going to ride it around and stunt a little bit. No big hits for me :)

What do you consider a decent rear shock if I didn't want to go with the HD spring for the rear?

·
Registered
176 Posts
my buddy has a i shock and there pretty sweet and you can prolly find one in the classifieds section along with all the other stuff you need .have you done anything to the bike or is it all stock?? because the first thing i recomend is a protaper big bar kit and longer cables. way more comfortable to ride with especially cause your a pretty big dude. and i run stock suspension on my bike and wheelie for as long as i want but i want good suspension too...its on the list of things to buy! good luck post up some pics of your bike soon and your progress

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lilbiss2k said:
my buddy has a i shock and there pretty sweet and you can prolly find one in the classifieds section along with all the other stuff you need .have you done anything to the bike or is it all stock?? because the first thing i recomend is a protaper big bar kit and longer cables. way more comfortable to ride with especially cause your a pretty big dude. and i run stock suspension on my bike and wheelie for as long as i want but i want good suspension too...its on the list of things to buy! good luck post up some pics of your bike soon and your progress

When I bought the bike it had a Two Brother's Triple clamp with a small rise and the guy gave me a set of BBR Big Bars to go on it. They definatly help out for us larger folks :)

I used to stunt quads a bit and had no trouble wheelieing for half a mile, but finding the BP on the 50 is a bit different. I am sure with more seat time I will find it, but I can't put in as much time as I would like with my a$$ so sore :(

As far as future upgrades I will be putting in EBC brake pads, Springs or a Shock, and tall seat first. Later on I was planning on getting black plastics, a One Industires Camo graphics kit, Skid plate, rear hand brake kit, stunt pegs, wheelie bar, different rims, some billet dress up parts, maybe a 88 kit and street tires.

I will post up some pics soon. Thanks for sharing your knowlege with me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW you might find after getting some serious seat time that the seat (whatever seat style) will become more comfortable as your azz toughens up some lol I used to get really sore when I got back on a bike, (my DR's seat feels like a 2x4 as far as comfort goes) like after just a couple hours, then I did some all day rides, then the seat just wasnt an issue. If you are only a casual rider then a comfy seat is a good investment, if you plan to tear up the trails on long rides your bike will "break you in" and seat comfort becomes less of an issue. .02

·
Registered
176 Posts
id def get some pegs i thought so much easier once i did and im still running a old pair of bmx pegs i moddified to work im just a cheap ass 50 stunter lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
welcome to the forums!

ull find just about everything you need from tech help to parts, i bought majority of my parts used off of this website...people are real helpful!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's interest and advice here!

Quick update:

I found out what could be an issue for me trying to wheelie. My front shocks are shot. They only have a couple inches sticking out when I sit on the bike, but when I get off the bike the the front shocks do not rebound. I put the bike on the stand and pulled on the wheel and the shocks fully extended. It seems like there aren't any springs in the tubes, but I have to get a snap ring pliers to get the shocks apart.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
176 Posts
yeah man get some snap ring pliers take them apart then clean the sh!t out of the springs and get all that old nasty grease out the tubes and springs with some brake cleaner and rags then re grease the spring with some nice new kinda thin grease then re assemble.then youll be good to go oh well you got it apart you could get new springs and 50stunt fork bushings(i def recomend at least the bushings)and then rebuild. hope it helps

·
Registered
957 Posts
funny that you menchen that tang. i picked up a 50 and the front fork were shot alos. didnt even notice because im only 75 pounds untill i hit a big hit and it felt like i was on bare metal. not fun

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the shocks apart last night to find that the springs seem pretty short. One was broken. I stuck a couple of bigger sockets in the tops of the tubes to make up for the lack of springs (just as a temporary solution). I will have to see today if this makes it easier to wheelie or not.

Looks like its time for some shock rebuilds :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
yep time for some new springs and idk how much the front suspension will help your wheelies but thats just my .02 have your ever seen the guys doing wheelies on 50's with no front wheel? i mean dont get me wrong sounds like you need new springs and fork bushings to start then some pegs i really think it will help you find bp way easier helped for me i think sitdowns are harder to ride then stand ups or staggered hope it helps

·
Registered
248 Posts
tang said:
Hello, I am new to the forums. I have been reading around a bit and there is a TON of great knowledge here. This will surly help me in my new adventure of owning a CRF50 :grin:

In the last 2 days I have probably put 3 hours on my 2004 CRF50 practicing wheelies and such. My butt is so sore! I have the stock seat on it. Would it help to put one of the taller seats on it?

I am 6'1" and 240 lbs so I know that I am bottoming the suspention just by sitting on the bike :rolleyes:

Is there another spring that I should get for my fat a$$ ?

Thanks!
LOL!:D Totaly agree with Traut881

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just bought some EBC brake pads and stunt pegs online. Now to wait for delivery...

I think it will be easier to control my wheelies with new rear brakes. The ones that are in there now are non-reponsive and crappy. Even with the rear brake rod adjusted correctly you have to mash them hard to get them to do anything and it seems that they are eather locked up or don't work at all.

The sockets in the tubes on my current fork quick fix make it much easier to reach the BP for wheelies. I don't have to pull so hard to get the bike to the BP. Definatly helps out.

Suspention is next for sure.

Thanks again for everyone's help :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts