PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I said that I would post numbers on the efficiency of the oil cooler for removing heat, and I now have some real data to use.



This information is based on my Honda Nice 142cc motor, running 45mph for 5 miles starting with a fully heated motor. Running a Earls 10-row temp-a-cure cooler directly under the valve cover beind the front wheel and plumbed with -6an hose.



I have a Koso dash, that has an oil and water temp sensor. I put the water temp sensor into where the skid plate goes so I can measure cylinder temperature. I plumbed the oil temp sensor into the oil line after the oil cooler. I am also running the dratv oil temp dipstick.



Ambient Temp: 85 degrees and very sunny

Oil takeoff location: Head



As an FYI, the Honda Nice engine employs an oil pump similiar to those found in the mid and large block motors.



Test: Lines as is.



once the motor was warmed up, I took it for a 5 mile pass where I can run it without slowing down too much. The motor runs about 5300 rpm at 45mph as setup. Temperatures as follows:



Dipstick: 180F

Cylinder Temp: 225F

Oil Temp after cooler: 135F



Test 2 Reverse the flow.



So here I swapped the lines so the oil flows the other way. This way the temp was measured before the oil went into the cooler. Same road and same conditions.



Dipstick: 180F

Cylinder Temp: 230F

Oil Temp Before Cooler: 185F



Based on these results, my oil cooler is dropping the oil a whopping 50F. So the hot oil that is coming in from the block is being cooled 50F before it is dumped back through the cam and returned through the galleys.



So there you have it...scientific proof that oil coolers do remove heat. Your results will vary I'm sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
Yeah thats pretty decent....going 45mph on the open road though is deffinently going to make the oil cooler more efficient.



riding around a mini track or something id be shocked if it lowered it 10-20 degrees
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
96Justin said:
Yeah thats pretty decent....going 45mph on the open road though is deffinently going to make the oil cooler more efficient.



riding around a mini track or something id be shocked if it lowered it 10-20 degrees


That's a good point. When I get the top end leaks sorted and the motor broken in a bit more, I'll do some laps in the neighborhood. Hard accelerations, braking, and all that stuff...like on a motard application. then I'll repeat the test. I'll also do a test where the motor is just idling. I'll get the motor warmed up nice and let it idle for 5 minutes and see what happens.



This could get interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
Re: So, how much does an oil cooler cool? Results inside!

Let me ask you fellas this, (sorry to stray from this VERY good topic) but i just switched to a dual cooler set up....Im thinking i should run a little more oil.....right? I figure instead of the required just under a quart, ill just put a full quart in. Im guessing two coolers would drop the temp even more..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
fatcaaat said:
That's a good point. When I get the top end leaks sorted and the motor broken in a bit more, I'll do some laps in the neighborhood. Hard accelerations, braking, and all that stuff...like on a motard application. then I'll repeat the test. I'll also do a test where the motor is just idling. I'll get the motor warmed up nice and let it idle for 5 minutes and see what happens.



This could get interesting.


The biggest reason for it probably not being as efficient for say a dirt track use is because there wont be near as much air flow to the cooler



Most the tracks ive been to id never even get close to 45 mph on my mini probably half that speed tops and it would only be momentary



A fan infront of the oil cooler would really boost its cooling abilities
 
G

·
Have you ran the dipstick gauge and cylinder temp without the cooler attached to see how many btu's its actually shedding off the engine? My concern with oil coolers is the increased warm up time. Most cylinder and bearing wear occurs during cold start up so I would recommend running a bypass valve. Most modern street bikes wont start to open the thermostat until around 180 degrees F and don't fully open it until around 200 degrees (coolant temp measured at engine exit).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
cyclerider57 said:
My concern with oil coolers is the increased warm up time.


That should be a concern for any modified engine. Just increase the amount of low idle time and make sure everything gets lubed up properly. Consider it foreplay.



cyclerider57 said:
Most cylinder and bearing wear occurs during cold start up so I would recommend running a bypass valve. Most modern street bikes wont start to open the thermostat until around 180 degrees F and don't fully open it until around 200 degrees (coolant temp measured at engine exit).


This sounds like you're talking about liquid cooling vs. oil cooling. If anyone has a thermostat running on their oil coolers I would love to read more and learn about that.
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top