PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I snapped the lower right stud on my bike and need help getting it out. I've tried vice grips but the nub is too small to grip. Next I tried easy out but that didnt seem to work cuz the piece snapped in half. So I went up to the next size and tried drilling a bigger hold into the stud but its extemely hard to drill into.Here are some pics:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Micro75 is correct but you can use a mig welder also, weld a slightly larger nut on and back it right out.

·
Registered
490 Posts
A new case halve would be the smartest but time consuming since everything has to be removed from the engine in order to do that.

Also, if you can get a nut to screw onto the stud get it on there and then weld it and then you can unscrew it...

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Dont listen to these clowns telling you to get a new case. Unless you have an easy out broken off in there then you should be able to drill and retap if you take your time. Or go the other method mentioned with a welder. And yes definately heat the case before using an extractor or the weld-on nut method.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
trailpimp33 said:
How did you manage to break that anyway?

Over tightened it because it was leaking oil so I my bright mind figured if I tighten it enough it would stop but nope, just completely broke the stud.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
YOu've got a few options, you could either try and slot what's left with a dremel tool to use a flat head to try and get it out. And if that don't work, use the dremel and some of the bits to shape the stud to where teh drill bit will want to center on it when you're starting the drill... After drilling it, use a screw extractor to get what's left out.

Most of the time when i do brake a bolt off in something aluminum, i'll just drill it large enough that i use a small pick to knock what's left of the bolt out of the hole. Then if the threads aren't in good shape use a heli-coil ( you can get them at about any hardware or automotive store ) and it will be stronger than it was new... you'd probably be looking for a heli-coil kit to give you an M6 x 1.0 thread ( that's what the honda cases are theaded factory )... I just don't know if there's enough room for a heli-coil in that area of the motor.

just have to try and at the worst case, you buy a new case half

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I learned the weld a nut on method in college... and it works. I have seen broken exhaust studs come out... and friday night I used to to get a broken chain adjuster bolt out of a swingarm. It was a M6 x 1.0 bolt that broke with just enough thread left to weld on it. I tried using some 1/4" nuts that I had laying around... but they werent big enough, they would just crack right off. So I got a bigger nut and put the heat right to it with my little cheapo ebay mig welder. It backed right out after that.

One other thing... after you weld the nut on and the broken stud is piping hot.. take a little wax and touch it to the threads. It will wick in between the bolt and the threads and make the broken stud come out easier.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.