PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just rebuilt our x4 with brand new parts from Pitster, new cylinder, piston and ho style head (Thanks Chris from Pitster) and noticed while breaking it in, that there is smoke coming from somewhere by the exhaust flange for the pipe to fit into where it bolts to the head. I don't think that there is anything wrong with the gasket between the two, its a metal one between the cylinder and the head, but I think that is on there right. So my suspicion is its either leaking from the exhaust flange, or there is a decent size hole just to the right of that, that I can't figure out why thats there. I will take a picture tonight, but was just seeing if anyone else had this problem.

Engine is a 160, with a 160 HO head if that matters.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
snopro315 said:
Hi guys,

Just rebuilt our x4 with brand new parts from Pitster, new cylinder, piston and ho style head (Thanks Chris from Pitster) and noticed while breaking it in, that there is smoke coming from somewhere by the exhaust flange for the pipe to fit into where it bolts to the head. I don't think that there is anything wrong with the gasket between the two, its a metal one between the cylinder and the head, but I think that is on there right. So my suspicion is its either leaking from the exhaust flange, or there is a decent size hole just to the right of that, that I can't figure out why thats there. I will take a picture tonight, but was just seeing if anyone else had this problem.

Engine is a 160, with a 160 HO head if that matters.

Thanks

Did you change the exhaust gasket after your re-build? Head gasket? If not, replace those....and you should be just fine ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the Pitster guys sent me all new gaskets for it. The only ones I ended up using were the base and head gaskets. Now by exhaust gasket do you mean like a little copper ring like big bikes use? I didn't get one of those and from what I see and know, I don't have one in there. For some reason as well, the collar on the exhaust is in the form of a small parabola or a 'U' and doesn't lay straight in that exhaust port in the head.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
snopro315 said:
the Pitster guys sent me all new gaskets for it. The only ones I ended up using were the base and head gaskets. Now by exhaust gasket do you mean like a little copper ring like big bikes use? I didn't get one of those and from what I see and know, I don't have one in there. For some reason as well, the collar on the exhaust is in the form of a small parabola or a 'U' and doesn't lay straight in that exhaust port in the head.

Hmmm..not sure what you mean by "U" shaped, but if you can post pics Ill check it out. As for the exhaust gasket (yes, the little copper ring like big bikes) you ARE supposed to have one in there. That can cause all kinds of issues with jetting...such as popping when you let off the gas. But if your bike is blowing smoke right there that means oil is getting in somewhere it shouldn't (I would think) Maybe valve seals? Hows your top end?

·
Registered
765 Posts
greasy hands? everytime i fire mine up after i work on it with my greasy oily hands it smokes all over for a little bit then burns off

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope special K everything from the piston and cylinder up was brand new from Pitster minus the exhaust pipe and header. I'll have to order a copper gasket then I guess.. And warpig I don't think so as it does this well after it should have burnt off already. I'll get pictures on tonight to explain visually.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
warpig0470 said:
greasy hands? everytime i fire mine up after i work on it with my greasy oily hands it smokes all over for a little bit then burns off

x'2....valid point there.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
snopro315 said:
nope special K everything from the piston and cylinder up was brand new from Pitster minus the exhaust pipe and header. I'll have to order a copper gasket then I guess.. And warpig I don't think so as it does this well after it should have burnt off already. I'll get pictures on tonight to explain visually.

Yeah bro, post those pics. Ill be on tonight....we'll get you taken care of :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here are the pictures. I confirmed what I already thought, there is no copper gasket there. I did put some gasket maker in there when installing so thats the discolored stuff in the port, kind of brownish colored. Notice the bend Special K that sort of resembles a "U"

Also I have one picture in there showing the carb and filter because I was wondering if you guys with x4's carbs have the same angle downward? Because the gas constantly leaks out of the carb and saturates the air filter. So to combat that, I have to have the float way up so it doesn't allow fuel to run out, and I think that suffocates the engine for fuel when its running.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Id say your gasket maker (orange stuff) on there is whats causing your smoke. Not having an exhaust gasket wouldnt cause the bike to smoke.....but it WILL cause jetting issues. Im pretty sure that stuff burning off is what your seeing. As for your carb, I have some 26mm intakes that may, or may not fit the same. Im running them one my H.O. and 155 and my carb doesnt sit like that. (PM me if you want one, I have an exhaust gasket too)

·
Registered
765 Posts
there is also a piece that goes into the carb and attaches to the float its probably a brass one. sometimes it wont seat properly. i had the same problem with mine. they make one with a viton rubber tip. its only a few bucks. i think i saw it on tbolts website somewhere

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The (whatever) needle right warpig, about a centimeter long? Ours is a rubber tipped viton needle or whatever and still leaks like a sieve. I have the float adjusted now like I was saying before so that it doesn't leak, but I think with it set that way, it starves the engine for fuel. The float deal, with the two rubber floats and the metal bracket I have the little flange that the needle's wire thing hooks over, pried probably almost a good 3/4 of a centimeter out. That probably doesn't make any sense, without seeing a picture, but all I am trying to get across is that its a pretty extreme bend, and I don't think that's how its supposed to be. Maybe tomorrow after work I will go and take some pictures to visually explain what I am talking about.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also I do have a video as well that I could post up, but it was getting dark and the smoke was hard to see.

·
Banned
1 Posts
You just need an exhaust gasket. Should have been part of a $15 top end set...

Flange has been over-tightened to compensate for a lack of proper gasket, it appears. Step away from the Wheaties, and get the correct part;)

As for the manifold, TB's rear-facing one is $56 and makes the carb lose it's Chinese Slant. Down side is, it's made for the V2 port size, and even the "superior" Ho head would need opened up a bit. There's a Chinese one that has less of an angle, and the bike should have came with, too, but you can easily belt-sand a little slant on each end of yours. Or I can sell you one for $20 shipped, with gaskets.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll give the sander a shot, and see where that angle gets me. This is gonna sound really dumb, but what are these yx engines head's based off of? klx110 right? So does that mean a exhaust gasket out of one of those will fit? Only reason why I ask is there is a Kawasaki dealer in my town, that might have one in stock.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
snopro315 said:
I'll give the sander a shot, and see where that angle gets me. This is gonna sound really dumb, but what are these yx engines head's based off of? klx110 right? So does that mean a exhaust gasket out of one of those will fit? Only reason why I ask is there is a Kawasaki dealer in my town, that might have one in stock.
Yep,, KLX will work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts