PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbie here to the planit minis site. i know some guys on here so i thought i would drop in and share some builds we have going on. this is a 71 honda sl70 that my son has decided to rebuild himself,he has been working on this for a couple months now and is doing a great job. let us know what ya think.started with a bare frame and he took it from there,had frame swingarm and wheels powdercoated then put in new 140cc monster motor,laced up his wheels himself. he is off to a great start consdering he is 14 and this is his first build

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Is that can of 'Never Dull' or grease for bearings and what not i see in th background on the office chair in the second picture? nice project/bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just a can of grease the red box is all the taps and dies. powder coating looks good but i bet he spent 3 or 4 hours taping all the threads lol....thanks for the props we should have the sheet metal back from paint this week and post up the pics soon

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Very nice. Interesting to see an SL with blacked-out frame and wheels. It'll be really interesting to see how that looks with the tank and seat and fenders back on. Kind of old-meets-new.

I wish I'd had my act as together when I was 14 as your son seems to, looking at that. When I was 14 I had a Suzuki DS100 with two different-colored fenders on it, forks off an old low-pipe TS100, mismatched tires and an MX silencer, which added at least .000073 hp and about 900 decibels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i told him the same thing about going black, but he said he wasnt worried about being original as long as it was his original lol. he has found another 70 that he wants to do just like it came from the factory,which i think will put his knowledge to the test. this project will take place after this one is complete...his riding buddy's grandfather had this bike in a hay barn buried under 15 bails of hay,man what a waste some folks can accomplish,but it is all there and should keep him busy for a while lol.....

·
Registered
568 Posts
Looking FINE!

You are teaching your son well. He is building not only a bike, but memories, confidence and a lot of pride in workmanship!

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Looks good! Cool that he can lace up wheels already. I laced up my first wheel when I was 14. 20" BMX wheel with 48 spokes in a 3 cross pattern. It was difficult.

·
Registered
6 Posts
and I remember reading that the after market engines wouldn't fit between sl70 frame - that seems to work fine - how close does the front tire get to the head?

·
Super Moderator
3,324 Posts
Lookin good!!! Nice retro rider! The purists will be crying! Can't wait till they see my Lady Dax this summer. Or my 68' Z50 KO with a 117 TB motor. A Hahahaha! Evil laugh.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
That bike looks like it wants to kill yer mama. Nice work.

Those big ol' fins really stand out, and the blacked-out stuff looks cool.

I'm impressed about the self-laced wheels. I ought to learn how to do that someday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts